Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Hi all,

I'm on the latest developer beta and have been experiencing frequent random "dead ends" using WiFi calling. Usually, I'm on the call and for about 5-10 seconds, the other party won't hear me, then I click back in. Some context on my connection: I have gigabit speeds, this happens when i'm 3 feet from my router/modem, and sometimes occurs when i'm a tad further way.

Anyone else having similar issues? If so, how did you fix it or did you roll back to iOS 11?

Thx!

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I use WiFi Calling exclusively at home as I have bad cell reception. I haven’t had any problems with it on any of the 12 betas.
Could it be a router issue? QOS? Maybe not if iOS 11 was fine but just a thought. As suggested earlier I would reset network settings.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Sometimes WiFi calling is just dodgy. I've found just walking around while on a WiFi call (at work, with an otherwise fairly solid network) is enough to cause problems sometimes. Cellular calls seem much more reliable when service is available.

I wouldn't blame iOS 12; I've had varying issues ever since WiFi calling became a thing on the iPhone. This is on AT&T; YMMV with other providers.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Sometimes WiFi calling is just dodgy. I've found just walking around while on a WiFi call (at work, with an otherwise fairly solid network) is enough to cause problems sometimes. Cellular calls seem much more reliable when service is available.

I wouldn't blame iOS 12; I've had varying issues ever since WiFi calling became a thing on the iPhone. This is on AT&T; YMMV with other providers.

I have had just the opposite experience (also AT&T). My WiFi Calling calls are rock solid. I can even go from one AP to another without a drop in conversation. I attribute this to a very good network setup though. I have two business class AP’s at either end of my house that allows for seamless handoff from one AP to another. Before setting it up this way a few years ago I had all sorts of handoff issues using two consumer routers. I would bet that most people that have issues with WiFi Calling is because of network setup. My Mom has some issues and when I get some time I’m going to set her up with the same AP’s as I have so she can walk anywhere in her house or yard without dropouts or weak signals.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I have had just the opposite experience (also AT&T). My WiFi Calling calls are rock solid. I can even go from one AP to another without a drop in conversation. I attribute this to a very good network setup though. I have two business class AP’s at either end of my house that allows for seamless handoff from one AP to another. Before setting it up this way a few years ago I had all sorts of handoff issues using two consumer routers. I would bet that most people that have issues with WiFi Calling is because of network setup. My Mom has some issues and when I get some time I’m going to set her up with the same AP’s as I have so she can walk anywhere in her house or yard without dropouts or weak signals.

I’ve been considering going from one AP in the centre of the house to a mesh system recently. May I ask what AP’s you’re using? Do you have a cable run to each?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I’ve been considering going from one AP in the centre of the house to a mesh system recently. May I ask what AP’s you’re using? Do you have a cable run to each?

I’m using Ubiquiti UniFi AP’s. I couldn’t be happier with them. The automatic signal handoff is very nice.
Yes I have a cable run to each AP.
At my Mom’s I plan on trying PowerLine adapters as I really don’t feel like running a line to the far end of her house.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I’m using Ubiquiti UniFi AP’s. I couldn’t be happier with them. The automatic signal handoff is very nice.
Yes I have a cable run to each AP.
At my Mom’s I plan on trying PowerLine adapters as I really don’t feel like running a line to the far end of her house.

Thanks. I’m going to look into that. Sometimes I think that mesh is over engineered so that’s a solid sounding alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.