Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I realise this isn't available yet in the Beta but does anyone know if I can not only receive calls and texts on my Mac but also send them? I know it's a bit of a simple question but I wasn't quite clear on it after watching the keynote.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
... on my Mac but also send them? I know it's a bit of a simple question but I wasn't quite clear on it after watching the keynote.

Not sure what keynote you saw but watch this Apple call.

"Now you can make and receive iPhone calls right on your Mac...."

"With OS X Yosemite and an iPhone running iOS 8, you can send and receive SMS and MMS text messages right from your Mac...."

Apple.com

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Pretty certain it's over WiFi.

I hope so. So far the only people who seem to have been able to get continuity and handoff features working are those with BLE on their devices. I know phone calls on the mac aren't ready yet but many have said SMS messaging works... I haven't had any luck with my Macbook pro (2009) Mac Mini (2009) or iPad 2...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
No you are wrong.

In order to be wrong he/she would have to have left pretty out just said "i'm certain...".

Non of us know for sure but it seems like it will be Apple's ad-hock WiFi connection the way AirPlay works instead of BT. On Apple's website it says "...And if your iPhone rings while it’s charging in the bedroom, you can answer the call on your Mac in the living room — they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network ..." This distance eliminates BT in almost all cases and Apple would not state this.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
In order to be wrong he/she would have to have left pretty out just said "i'm certain...".

Non of us know for sure but it seems like it will be Apple's ad-hock WiFi connection the way AirPlay works instead of BT. On Apple's website it says "...And if your iPhone rings while it’s charging in the bedroom, you can answer the call on your Mac in the living room — they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network ..." This distance eliminates BT in almost all cases and Apple would not state this.

That's what I figured. They mentioned about your iPhone being on charge in the bedroom. I don't know about you but there's no way my Bluetooth would cover the distance from my bedroom to the study while the WiFi covers it all. Perhaps it will work through both like connect to the internet via your iPhone's hotspot.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I realise this isn't available yet in the Beta but does anyone know if I can not only receive calls and texts on my Mac but also send them? I know it's a bit of a simple question but I wasn't quite clear on it after watching the keynote.

During the keynote Craig makes a phone call from his Mac to Dr. Dre and received a phone call from his "mother".
I would think that makes it fairly clear that you will be able to do both.

Once both operating systems are ready we will all understand the actual process behind it better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.