Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Thank you for the clarification !

I see a lot of options, is there a recomended option from those that understand this well from following it over the course of the solution ?

Will nearly any one of the inexpensive options I see floating around work, as long as it is labeled compatible with a 3,1 ?

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Where do each of the 4 antennas go on the BCM94360CD wifi/BT card for a MacPro 3,1 ?

Is it 100% confirmed that the correct Bluetooth antenna wire is not the BT U.FL plug ? Is there a good thread detailing this confusion in detail. Which #plug do you guys use for the BT ? Does anyone have first hand experience playing with different combinations just to confirm if there is a issue with labeling from the factory? Was the labeling ever corrected at some point making it HARD to determine which is the correct plug to use? Can we track down the correct antenna by tracing the coax back if there is any question at all about correctness of the antenna being used?

What is the extra (not used) antenna on the MacPro 3,1 ? A 3rd wifi antenna ?

What are each of the U.FL plugs on the BCM94360CD allocated for just for cross reference? A0,A1,A2,A3

Last edited:

Jabert

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2018
Hi, is there a WiFi card that will work with the Mac Pro 3,1 that has native support in macOS 10.12 Sierra? My Mac Pro never had an internal WiFi card and I have been using a cheap USB dongle, but it has a rather annoying utility which pops up every time I boot and relies on the USB2.0 port on the rear.

It isn't terribly important, but I do use my Mac Pro as a Media File server for my Samsung TVs using Serviio, which seems to rely on the WiFi for some reason despite one of them being connected to the same network via Ethernet.
[doublepost=1520710071][/doublepost]This might be of interest to you :
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/TP-LINK/TLWDN4800/

hamachi

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
My Mac Pro previously had an Apple WiFi card model BCM94321MC; however, support for that card went away when I upgraded to High Sierra with dosdude's patch. I don't need Wifi, as my home network of choice is wired gigabit Ethernet but I wanted everything to be restored to full functionality. Someone said that the BCM94322MC would work with my setup. I found one of these cards on eBay. At $4.25 including shipping it was worth a try, even though the shipping estimate was 1 to 2 months from China.

The card arrive today after less than 3 weeks of wait. After installing it, I was delighted to find that WiFi again works with my Mac Pro 3,1 and High Sierra. The hardest thing about this upgrade was getting the WiFi antenna connectors seated onto the tiny connectors on the card.

After verifying that the WiFi card works, I turned off WiFi and resumed wired Ethernet. Some may say that this exercise was pointless; however, they underestimate the entertainment value of the experience.

Reactions: ikir and TonyK

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
Hi folks,

not sure if its a good idea to reactivate such an old thread. But I didn't want to make a new thread, when there is one that discusses something similar.

I have installed High Sierra on my Mac Pro 3,1 (with an High Sierra Patcher Tool) and everything worked great. Until I decided to buy a new combined „Bluetooth & Wifi“ Card, to make Handoff and Airdrop work.

I bought this card: BCM94360CD

It works, Handoff and Airdrop work, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work and show up under System preferences as they should. But when I shutdown the MAC and turn it on again, all fans spin at max levels and the Mac won’t boot. There is no typical Apple Boot Sound.

- When I reboot the Mac, it boots with no problems
- When I shutdown the Mac, it won’t boot (Fans spin at max level)
- When I pull out the Wifi card, the Mac boots with no problems. Then I plug the card back in after a few seconds and everything works, but it is annoying to do that upon every boot

Is the correct driver missing?
According to some posts in this thread, this card should work in a Mac Pro 3,1 and it does, despite the shutdown/boot problem.

Do you have any ideas, how I could solve this problem?

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
No luck unfortunately. I've reset the NVRAM twice, what is only doable if the Wifi Card is not plugged in. And I've also tried the SMC reset. Anything else I could try?

Would the System Information about Bluetooth & Wifi be any help?

Last edited:

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
I now have reseated the antenna cables according to the attached image and replugged the BCM94360CD into the adapter (read somewhere that this could help).

Didn´t help either.

I am not sure if it has something to do with the settings I have chosen in the patcher tool from "dosdude1".
The first time, I have marked the model "MacPro 3.1" with the "Broadcom wifi card" option checked.
I reinstalled the whole OS and patched again, to get a clean install and left the "Broadcom wifi card" option "unchecked" this time. As the Model mentioned in the patcher tool is not the BCM94360CD.

Wifi and bluetooth work. The issue that the Mac won't boot with the card plugged in, is the same as before.

I have wrote him an Email, too. He hasn't answered yet.

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_nxja3vH8bF1rgy2ig_500.jpg
    tumblr_inline_nxja3vH8bF1rgy2ig_500.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 389

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
The only thing, I can say is that I had High Sierra installed on my Mac 3,1 with this card and the adapter installed, and it worked. I can't remember whether I had to check the option in the install patcher or not, though.

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
After several more SMC and NVRAM resets and patching the Broadcom WiFi Card with the High Sierra patcher Tool and no success, I tried the following:

I have unplugged the wifi card from the Adapter and tried to boot the mac just with the Adapter alone. To see if the Problem is the wifi card itself or the PCI-E Adapter card.

And guess What, it is NOT booting. So I think I will order another Adapter card and hope that it works then.

Reactions: JoSch

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
After several more SMC and NVRAM resets and patching the Broadcom WiFi Card with the High Sierra patcher Tool and no success, I tried the following:

I have unplugged the wifi card from the Adapter and tried to boot the mac just with the Adapter alone. To see if the Problem is the wifi card itself or the PCI-E Adapter card.

And guess What, it is NOT booting. So I think I will order another Adapter card and hope that it works then.
I have the same adapter, BT works, but I don't have a Wi-Fi. waiting for the adapter mini PCI ( i have cMP 4.1)
I wrote about it in this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-keep-updating.1748061/page-49#post-27476678
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-keep-updating.1748061/page-50#post-27479666
I thought that maybe this adapter for PC motherboards (with windows) but not for motherboards Mac Pro?

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
I have the same adapter, BT works, but I don't have a Wi-Fi. waiting for the adapter mini PCI ( i have cMP 4.1)
I wrote about it in this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-keep-updating.1748061/page-49#post-27476678
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-keep-updating.1748061/page-50#post-27479666
I thought that maybe this adapter for PC motherboards (with windows) but not for motherboards Mac Pro?

I have a different Adapter and card. I've uploaded two pictures. The second picture shows both plugged in the Mac Pro 3,1 Mainboard. Right underneath the hdd2 Slot.

This is the description for the new Adapter I've ordered: "This adapter converts the BCM94360CD / BCM94331CD module to a PCI-E X1 (36Pin) interface." Hopefully this new one will work.

Attachments

• 99F90B64-08CC-4800-9D04-6C5749877776.jpeg
    99F90B64-08CC-4800-9D04-6C5749877776.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 3F26A73A-62AF-455B-BC79-6FDDFC558ED9.jpeg
    3F26A73A-62AF-455B-BC79-6FDDFC558ED9.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 267
Reactions: Petri Krohn

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
I have a different Adapter and card. I've uploaded two pictures. The second picture shows both plugged in the Mac Pro 3,1 Mainboard. Right underneath the hdd2 Slot.

This is the description for the new Adapter I've ordered: "This adapter converts the BCM94360CD / BCM94331CD module to a PCI-E X1 (36Pin) interface." Hopefully this new one will work.
I'm waiting for the same adapter as yours(mini pci-e, to the original Wi-Fi place on the board). and will check with him. I hope the module itself is fine. just interesting, I saw a few messages that the wi-fi module does not work in the adapter in the “big” PСI-e slot (as in my photo).

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
As far as I can say, wifi, Bluetooth, Handoff, everything works perfectly fine with the BCM94360CD card in my Mac Pro 3,1 High Sierra. And it does so out of the box.

madpro3.1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
Just wanted to let you guys know that everything works with the new pci-e Adapter card. So the first one was indeed faulty.

My Mac is booting and Handoff, BT & Wi-Fi works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.