Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I have a MacBook Pro running Sierra, and in the last few weeks it's behaving strangely. I moved into my new place, with a new wifi modem. The wifi connection keeps dropping every few minutes, which makes the laptop unusable for Zoom and similar things.

These are the solutions I tried until now:
- Remove the wifi network from the System Preferences, and then add it back.
- Remove relevant files from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, following this link.

All my other devices (including two other macbooks, both running Big Sur) work fine with the modem. Do you have any suggestion on how to fix the issue? Thanks!

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
There may be interference on the channel you are using. Can you control your wifi access point settings at all?

drumboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
That shouldn't be the case - I have the same issue with the two other nets of the router (5Ghz and repeater placed in another room).

tbebe27

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2022
Did you ever find a fix for this? I have exactly the same issue since moving house last week. It's so frustrating. Also mac book and on high Sierra... no problems until we moved to the new house and it's not the wifi connection, just this device.

Reactions: drumboy

drumboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Did you ever find a fix for this? I have exactly the same issue since moving house last week. It's so frustrating. Also mac book and on high Sierra... no problems until we moved to the new house and it's not the wifi connection, just this device.
Hey, I just checked and the issue is still there. To be honest I stopped using the machines involved - I got a new one from work and stopped using my personal one. On the High Sierra machine I have, I can ping google but I still can't browse any page... Maybe a solution could be to go old school and buy an adaptor (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/ethernet-adapter-for-macbook)? Good luck and let me know if you manage to fix the issue ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.