Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laurentio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Hey

It's my first time on this forum simply because I didn't have any troubles till now.

I can connect to my home access point for about 10 to 15 seconds, then I get booted off. I can reconnect afterwards but the same thing happens. The first 2 days of the problem sometimes it resolved itself; I'd get booted off, fiddle around with some settings, try connecting to other networks and ultimately trying to reconnect to my home network, and it would work. Until the next day or so when the problem re-occurs.

I investigated it a bit and saw some other people with similar issues; they'd say stuff about priorities or something (I ended up deleting all my remembered networks, it didn't work), also about intermittently losing connection to the access point/router for which they suggested an app I could create that frequently pings the router/AP, this didn't work.

The thing is, I can't even open a webpage, mail, etc. while I'm 'connected' for those 15 seconds... It says "resolving host" right up to the moment when it says "network setting have been changed" (I lose connection to my AP).

I haven't been able to connect to other known networks (work, family) yet, I'm very busy working on my home atm. I know it would rule out quite a lot since I'd be able to say whether or not my wifi-card is busted.

I wrote everything I know, feel free to comment and suggest and if you have more questions, shoot!

Thanks!

Laurent

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
1) You can try to reset the PRAM by holding CMD+ALT+P+R as soon as you turn your MacBook on. Continue to hold down those four keys at the same time until you hear the Apple 'boot chime' three times, then let go.

2) Ensure you're on the latest version of OS X.

3) Restart your Mac with reopen windows when logging back in disabled.

4) Ensure your router's wireless encryption is set to WPA2-PSK only -- not mixed, and not auto (it may be called WPA2-AES instead).

5) Restart your router.

6) If the issue still persists, try assigning your router channel manually rather than having it automatically allocate.

Laurentio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Thanks for the reply Keys! I haven't done what you said yet, but I do have some news. I got on the wifi of another access point without a problem, so the problem's gotta be with my network, right? Or is my logic off?
It's just weird because my phone, my girlfriend's laptop etc. connect without a problem, it's just this Mac that's having issues.
Does your answer still apply Keys?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.