Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omnimaxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hello to the MacRumors forum community. First, see below link.

Link: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ios-17-could-be-causing-iphone-wi-fi-issues-what-we-know

Second, I have a new iPhone SE (2022 model). I have no issues with my carrier's connection. That's fine. Third, what my issue has to do with is the Wi-Fi. When returning home, I often have to turn it off/on to work. The Wi-Fi connects when entering my home, but it doesn't work (as in nothing loads). It's not until I turn it off/on that it works. After that, it works fine. Even then, sometimes when I turn on my phone in my home, the Wi-Fi doesn't work again. I have to turn it off/on (on the phone) for it to connect and work. I guess what I'm looking for is if other iPhone SE owners (or all iPhone owners) have had this issue on iOS 17, too, or if it was present before iOS 17 came out. I can't rightly say if this problem happened with iOS 16, because I updated to iOS 17 the same day I got my phone, so I don't know if it's my phone or iOS 17. I haven't tried resetting the network settings, but I will soon. I doubt it'll help, though.

Any suggestions or any other input from fellow iPhone SE (or just iPhone) users who've had similar issues?

Thank you!

Omnimaxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
UPDATE:

1) Well, resetting my network settings didn't help. The problem still exists. (I'm on my router's 5G band.)​
2) Interestingly enough - the Wi-Fi connection started working suddenly after I tried loading a website (which didn't work) and tried another one (which worked). I went back to the first website, and it loaded. Very interesting ...​
What could this suggest? Anyone?
Thanks to all.

5gsumdae

macrumors member
May 4, 2020
Can you toggle airplane mode off/on instead of power cycling to get WiFi to work?

Do you have a computer hardwired to your router with Ethernet so you can examine the router connected devices status while your phone is not working?

Haven’t had any issues with wifi between a 13 and 14 on 16.X other than:
- Phone doesn’t automatically connect to the strongest wifi signal. Have wireless 5 GHz routers on different channels at either end of the house and have to manually select the stronger signal sometimes when moving around.
- Phone seemed to have forgotten my hidden 2.4 GHz channel. But I don’t need to use that any longer since adding 2nd 5 GHz router.
- Sometimes the 5 GHz channel does seem to flake out and show “No Internet Connection” even though the signal is strong. Not sure of the reason. May be the internet provider flaked out briefly.
- Sometimes with a weak WiFi signal the phone will switch to the cellular signal. I force it back to WiFi temporarily by turning off cellular data.

Last edited:

Omnimaxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
@5gsumdae - thanks for replying. See below:

1) I wasn't clear. I don't have to turn off the iPhone. Yes, I can get the Wi-Fi working again by turning it off/on.​
2) I saw the news about the rumored imminent update, too (after I posted earlier). Hope it'll fix the Wi-Fi issue.​

Again, thanks. If anyone else has any input - feel free.

Omnimaxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
UPDATE:

Seems like the 17.1.1 iOS update Apple pushed out today has fixed my Wi-Fi issues.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I haven't had any issues since I updated. Anyone else?

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Hello to the MacRumors forum community. First, see below link.

Link: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ios-17-could-be-causing-iphone-wi-fi-issues-what-we-know

Second, I have a new iPhone SE (2022 model). I have no issues with my carrier's connection. That's fine. Third, what my issue has to do with is the Wi-Fi. When returning home, I often have to turn it off/on to work. The Wi-Fi connects when entering my home, but it doesn't work (as in nothing loads). It's not until I turn it off/on that it works. After that, it works fine. Even then, sometimes when I turn on my phone in my home, the Wi-Fi doesn't work again. I have to turn it off/on (on the phone) for it to connect and work. I guess what I'm looking for is if other iPhone SE owners (or all iPhone owners) have had this issue on iOS 17, too, or if it was present before iOS 17 came out. I can't rightly say if this problem happened with iOS 16, because I updated to iOS 17 the same day I got my phone, so I don't know if it's my phone or iOS 17. I haven't tried resetting the network settings, but I will soon. I doubt it'll help, though.

Any suggestions or any other input from fellow iPhone SE (or just iPhone) users who've had similar issues?

Thank you!
This is very similar issue to what many of us are having a problem with on our iPhone 15 models. Shows connected but no actual data connection and generally unstable 5GHz WiFi.

Omnimaxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the update fixed Wi-Fi. I don’t understand it. Yesterday, everything was working flawlessly. But today I had to reconnect to my Wi-Fi manually. Guess we’ll have to wait for 17.2. This sucks …

Omnimaxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
This is very similar issue to what many of us are having a problem with on our iPhone 15 models. Shows connected but no actual data connection and generally unstable 5GHz WiFi.

So maybe I should try 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.