Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRASC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago
Noticed recently that at times, fairly frequently, that my wifi on my MacBook Pro would cut out. By cut out I mean the signal is still active, by all indications it is still connected but there is no upload/download network activity happening.

The odd thing to me is that simply by clicking the wifi icon in the Menu Bar it is restored (most times), until it happens again. Not sure why this suddenly started happening. I have restarted the modem/router several times, the computer as well & went so far as to forget the connection & re-register it & still it occurs. Now trying to turn off bluetooth to see if that would make a difference though I doubt it since it has been on before this became an issue & since.

Can't upgrade macOS any further unfortunately as Mojave isn't compatible with my MBP.

It is a 5GHz connection if that matters.

Anyone else with similar issues and or a fix?

Thanks.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
All I can think of (and I'm no WiFi expert) is intermittent interference on whatever channel you're using. I would try using a different 5GHz channel and/or a 2.4GHz channel and see if the problem goes away.

Do you have lots of very nearby neighbors with WiFi, like in an apartment building? I've found the application WiFi Explorer on the Mac App Store to be a great tool for analyzing all in-range WiFi networks.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Try creating a new Network Location. Sometimes this clears out networking issues.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

Add custom DNS entries to your WiFi connection. Note these must be entered for any network you connect to. I prefer Google DNS (very quick in my location; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). You can find other DNS servers online. I've found Google DNS to speed up web browsing over the default DNS used by many different ISP (especially AT&T and little rural companies).
http://osxdaily.com/2015/12/05/change-dns-server-settings-mac-os-x/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.