Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Hello,

I am facing a very weird issue regarding the wifi performance on my iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3. So, I have a few apps to be updated in app store. I click on Update all and then turn my screen off. Now, the issue is that after downloading apps halfway, it disconnects the wifi and phone goes to cellular mode and stops downloading the updates.

Earlier, I dont remember iOS disconnecting wifi midway of app updates. Also, it makes no sense to do that. I am also worried that my Cellular data will kick in and will be used for updates.

Is anyone else facing the same issue.

Note: I have tried resetting all network settings and then reset all settings as well when the former did not work. Also, Wifi assist is off.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Hmmm. That's an interesting one. Have you tried renewing the lease?

Settings > Wi-Fi > "i" next to the network you're connected to > Renew Lease

Having said that, it could be the router that is kicking you off. Can you test downloading on another device using the same network?

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
No, Power Savings mode is off.
Is the power savings mode turned off?
[doublepost=1504679289][/doublepost]
Hmmm. That's an interesting one. Have you tried renewing the lease?

Settings > Wi-Fi > "i" next to the network you're connected to > Renew Lease

Having said that, it could be the router that is kicking you off. Can you test downloading on another device using the same network?

This is interesting as i read in a few other forums that its sometimes because of the router. Suggestions were to manually assign the band of the wifi, which i have.

Also, what i dont understand is why would router kick a device so instantly. Also, I do have a pretty basic router. I dont have any options to change also.

Comparing with Windows Laptop, it stays connected. But I do see my iPad disconnecting more often. I thought it could be aggressive battery saving technique on iOS 10.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
So i guess I have figured out the culprit. my VPN is the culprit. and Indirectly iOS too since iOS does not let vpn providers to stay connected. It disconnects after a while and thats why my wifi keeps disconnecting.

I just disconnected my VPN and is staying connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.