Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well if your cellular data is off then there's no way to tell the WiFi that there's a push notification waiting to come thru. Thus, you miss iMessages, emails etc, until you physically unlock the phone.
And I don't think there's a different behavior for when you're streaming media.

----------

We're talking about iOS 6 here.
Then how do push notifications work just fine on WiFi-only iOS devices like iPads and iPod Touches? They seem to come through in a timely manner whenever they are triggered, not just whenever you wake/unlock the device yourself (or stop streaming something, like YouTube or music).

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Then how do push notifications work just fine on WiFi-only iOS devices like iPads and iPod Touches? They seem to come through in a timely manner whenever they are triggered, not just whenever you wake/unlock the device yourself (or stop streaming something, like YouTube or music).

Not necessarily. I've read it here and experienced it with my parents' iPad mini Wifi: iMessages will not go thru unless they are using the iPad and for a very short time after locking the screen. Very annoying if I'm trying to get in touch with them.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, this is a bummer for my work WiFi which requires you to re-sign in every time you disconnect. At home it's no big deal since it reconnects instantly when I wake my phone. Push notifications still seem to come through on time for me even with cellular data off.

Last edited:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I stream music to Airplay speakers all the time, and even when the screen is locked, music still plays, so that means mine doesn't disconnect from Wifi when locked if music is streaming.

I don't notice any problem with Wifi disconnection when the screen is locked. I guess if no data is needed, disconnecting from Wifi network when idle is a good thing.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Just noticed that I now have an "Auto Login" feature for my WiFi network at work. I now reconnect instantly instead of having to constantly re-sign in. Was this an iOS 6.1 update?
a7y9uput.jpg

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Well, I don't have a cellular data plan but the push notifications always show up when the phone is locked

Although I have no idea of how this works in iOS, there could be a clock-triggered interupt mechanism that connects to the network periodically.

Similary, a phone cannot keep its connection to the base station all the time. It does so periodically to save battery.

Well if your cellular data is off then there's no way to tell the WiFi that there's a push notification waiting to come thru. Thus, you miss iMessages, emails etc, until you physically unlock the phone.
And I don't think there's a different behavior for when you're streaming media.

----------

We're talking about iOS 6 here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not necessarily. I've read it here and experienced it with my parents' iPad mini Wifi: iMessages will not go thru unless they are using the iPad and for a very short time after locking the screen. Very annoying if I'm trying to get in touch with them.
Haven't come across that using a couple of different versions/generations of WiFi-only iPads over the last few years.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Sorry to bump this year old thread but I found this thread searching for an solution to keep wifi connected after the lockscreen has gone black and didn't see it answered here. After pouring through many Cydia entries, I found a tweak called "Insomnia" that keeps wifi connected regardless of the state of the device. It also apparently doesn't let iOS auto-close apps, but I've yet to confirm that behavior.

So, that does mean that the only solution I'm aware of requires the user to be jailbroken.

BTW, I will post back here if I notice that keeping the wifi connected constantly has a significant negative impact on my battery life.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Update the firmware on your WiFi base station.

I know at least two people who had this issue, and it was fixed with a firmware update.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
No, iOS is programmed to disconnect from wifi when the screen has been off for "x" amount of time. A lot of people don't like that functionality because when the screen is off and notifications and data coming in and out from various apps occurs, it uses your cellular data, which eats away at your cap. For people with a 500+ MB/month data cap, that's not a problem, but I have a 250 MB/month cap (because I'm painfully cheap), so it sucks to waste precious data when I don't have to.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, iOS is programmed to disconnect from wifi when the screen has been off for "x" amount of time. A lot of people don't like that functionality because when the screen is off and notifications and data coming in and out from various apps occurs, it uses your cellular data, which eats away at your cap. For people with a 500+ MB/month data cap, that's not a problem, but I have a 250 MB/month cap (because I'm painfully cheap), so it sucks to waste precious data when I don't have to.
How does that work with WiFi-only iOS devices like some iPod Touches and some iPads?

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
I would venture to guess that the firmware is specific to the device and if it doesn't have a cellular radio than iOS probably doesn't turn off the wifi radio, or it turns it on in the background every so often in order to receive push notifications. I've definitely awaken my wifi-only iPad after a long sleep before and noticed a split second before the wifi icon appeared, whereas when I wake it after just a short sleep, the wifi icon is already there as soon as the screen turns on.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys
Recently,I upgraded my 4S to iOS6 and since then,I've been experiencing this issue.Wifi drops when the phone is locked for more than 2-3 minutes.
Any ideas ?

It should hold on to your wifi for a few minutes, if there is nothing going on, it will disconnect.. If any message like in whatsapp pops up, it will reconnect ..

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
It should hold on to your wifi for a few minutes, if there is nothing going on, it will disconnect.. If any message like in whatsapp pops up, it will reconnect ..

In my experience with my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1, it holds the wifi signal for about 1 minute, then disconnects. In my experience, even if data is going in and out in the background, it will not cause the wifi to reconnect, and therefore even if I'm at home or at work, I am burning up my data allotment needlessly.

Maybe this is fixed in iOS 7, but there's no way I'm willing to upgrade in order to find out. I'm perfectly happy using Insomnia and it doesn't seem to be having a significantly negative effect on my battery life.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
In my experience with my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1, it holds the wifi signal for about 1 minute, then disconnects. In my experience, even if data is going in and out in the background, it will not cause the wifi to reconnect, and therefore even if I'm at home or at work, I am burning up my data allotment needlessly.

Maybe this is fixed in iOS 7, but there's no way I'm willing to upgrade in order to find out. I'm perfectly happy using Insomnia and it doesn't seem to be having a significantly negative effect on my battery life.

Well tried it out myself... On ios7.1.1... When cellular is on.. Wifi stops when're phone is idle after 1 or 2 min and doesn't switch back... But when cellular is off, wifi doesn't go out till the next 6-8 min(didn't try more).. Well that's on iphone .. I think it works diff on iPod touch...

Last edited:
I had to do a full restore on my device yesterday, and the constant wifi-dropping proved to be a huge pain during the iCloud restore process. If I didn't tap the screen to prevent auto-lock, the whole process would fail and I had to start the restore over again. The result was 15 minutes of tapping the screen every 30 seconds.

I like that it drops wifi on lock in most situations, but it seems like an oversight to do so during an icloud restore, especially when the phone is connected to a power source.

>>Or you could had changed the lock options within Settings>General>Auto-Lock whilst you did the restore ;/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.