Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Since I updated to iOS 13, my iPhone has begun to disconnect to the wifi when it's locked. When I tap the screen to wake, I see my wifi symbol for like half a second, then it shows 4G, and then after a second or 2, it is once again connected to wifi.

The issue is that this eliminates me using Hey Siri to control things in my home, such as music or lights, which I can only control when I'm on the wifi. Now I have to pick up the phone, tap to wake so it'll connect to wifi, and THEN I can control my lights and music.

I have tried:
- Toggling off/on the Auto-Join setting in the network
- Forgetting the network and reconnecting to it
- Have tested both my 2.4ghz wifi network and my 5ghz wifi network and it happens on both of them
- Have tried resetting all network settings
- Have tried disabling Wi-Fi Networking in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

Still no luck.

Does anyone have any other tips? This really sucks :(

Gimmi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Central London UK
I’m having the same problem with my iPhone 11 Pro Max on 13.1.2. When I pick it up it’s usually on 4G, then joins Wi-Fi but keeps dropping the connection. Internet is frustratingly slow whatever it’s connected to.

Have tried the various options you’ve mentioned but no luck. I’ve got a Genius appointment later today and will let you know what happens.

My husband has no problem at all with his 11 Pro Max and says it’s really fast. Grrr ?

Reactions: felixen

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I’m having the same problem with my iPhone 11 Pro Max on 13.1.2. When I pick it up it’s usually on 4G, then joins Wi-Fi but keeps dropping the connection. Internet is frustratingly slow whatever it’s connected to.

Have tried the various options you’ve mentioned but no luck. I’ve got a Genius appointment later today and will let you know what happens.

My husband has no problem at all with his 11 Pro Max and says it’s really fast. Grrr ?

Ah bummer! Fingers crossed for that Genius appointment, and thank you for wanting to update me on what they say

Reactions: Gimmi

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I had this on a 6S and an 11 when on 13.1.2, but since upgrading to 13.2 beta 1 it's no longer happening that I've noticed (or it's happening much less anyway).

Reactions: Gimmi

Gimmi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Central London UK
Hi @felixen, I hope you find a solution, not sure my Genius appointment result will help. The hardware diagnostics tests were all passed, phone was wiped and set up as new without loading apps and data. They said it was probably a software problem and shouldn’t happen again ...

Wi-Fi seems better, at least I can now use the Nest thermostat app without it constantly dropping. It has only dropped once during the last five hours or so that I’m aware off and whenever I pick the phone up it shows the Wi-Fi symbol instead of 4G.

I’m still cautiously adding back apps but will avoid downloading any that haven’t been updated recently.

Thanks @adrianlondon hopefully 13.2 will fix it.

Reactions: felixen

Gimmi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Central London UK
@felixen Just an update to the above: the following day my iPhone went back to intermittently dropping Wi-Fi again.

I turned off Wi-Fi Assist in Mobile Data settings (Cellular Data? in US) and no problem since.

I’d read somewhere that toggling it off - then on again - could fix the problem. I’ve just turned it back on. Fingers crossed!

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
@felixen Just an update to the above: the following day my iPhone went back to intermittently dropping Wi-Fi again.

I turned off Wi-Fi Assist in Mobile Data settings (Cellular Data? in US) and no problem since.

I’d read somewhere that toggling it off - then on again - could fix the problem. I’ve just turned it back on. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the update. I haven't tried the Wifi Assist thing yet. Will give that a try right away!

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hope it works for you ? Well, turning it back on caused the problem again so I’m leaving it off. Good luck!

Thanks. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to sort the issue for me. Tried switching it off and on, and also tried just leaving it off. No luck ? Is it still solved for you?

bezoss

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2019
Since I updated to iOS 13, my iPhone has begun to disconnect to the wifi when it's locked. When I tap the screen to wake, I see my wifi symbol for like half a second, then it shows 4G, and then after a second or 2, it is once again connected to wifi.

The issue is that this eliminates me using Hey Siri to control things in my home, such as music or lights, which I can only control when I'm on the wifi. Now I have to pick up the phone, tap to wake so it'll connect to wifi, and THEN I can control my lights and music.

I have tried:
- Toggling off/on the Auto-Join setting in the network
- Forgetting the network and reconnecting to it
- Have tested both my 2.4ghz wifi network and my 5ghz wifi network and it happens on both of them
- Have tried resetting all network settings
- Have tried disabling Wi-Fi Networking in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

Still no luck.

Does anyone have any other tips? This really sucks :(

i have the same problem iPhone X, iOS 13.2.2
all of the above didnt solve my problem

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
On 13.2.1, this happened to me for the first time today. It was on wifi when I left it charging, when I took it off and the screen lit up it was on 4G for a moment . It switched back to wifi after I opened the browser app.

bezoss

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2019
On 13.2.1, this happened to me for the first time today. It was on wifi when I left it charging, when I took it off and the screen lit up it was on 4G for a moment . It switched back to wifi after I opened the browser app.

after reading several forums it's normal for the phone to disconnect from wifi when sleep and when not charging.
didnt know that although i am having an iphone since 5s era. lol. what's wrong with me? :)

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
This seems to be solved for me now. I did what I probably should have tested right off the bat; restarted my router ? now it never disconnects from the wifi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.