Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Greetings! This is not strictly an iPad problem, but what works on the iPad might work on my Macbook too.

On a seemingly random basis both my wifi only iPad and my Macbook lose the ability to determine their locations. I am on Centurylink DSL. Thinking it might be a modem problem I upgraded modems, but the problem remains.

At some point it will start up again, but no idea why or when. This might take a few days or a few hours. As you might guess, I do have the required location services on, etc. The standard approaches of toggling wifi on and off, exiting the Maps app, and restarting the iPad do not help.

The actual message I get is a small pop up that reads "Current Location Not Available. Your current location cannot be determined at this time."

One extra data point: Location is working on my iMac that is hard wired to the modem. Seems like only the wifi devices can't figure out where they are!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.