Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Whytock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Hello all,

As someone who has Reasonable IT knowledge I am kinda here as a last resort as my WiFi doesn’t work and I cannot have tried everything.

I have a MacBook Air with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
I have a Virgin Media WiFi hub witch I connect to.

The issue is that the WiFi rarely connects. It used to but now doesn’t. The IP address is usually always self assigned, or it keeps cutting out and telling me there is no IP address, then the IP address keeps coming back again, then disappearing.
Network diagnostics always has yellow dots by the ISP, Internet and Server. ISP keeps turning red and saying failed, then turns yellow, then red.
Sometimes the WiFi works for ages then a few days later it completely fails.
The full network report shows possible conflicting country codes near me, but I don’t know who or what they are.

I have removed the required .plst files, and it doesn’t work.
Rebooting the Mac and WiFi hub doesn’t work.
Creating a new location doesn’t work.
Deleting and re-adding the WiFi doesn’t work.
Starting the Mac in recovery mode doesn’t work - WiFi cannot connect in recovery mode.

However all my other devices can connect, and my Mac can connect to WiFi outside the home with no issues ever.

is there any solution? I have tried every fix and it never works or only works temporarily. Would anyone think my Mac is broken?

Thanks
Michael

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
In System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Advanced -> TCP/IP what are your settings?

Since Recovery Mode shows the same behavior though, I’m tempted to think that the issue is with settings on the router relating to the MAC address on the... Well, Mac....

Until you said your other devices continue working on the network I thought your ISP was just dropping out. - Actually, what are those other devices and which make of MacBook Air is this? They could be running on different wireless channels

Reactions: Michael Whytock

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
What router? If possible, delete the problem child MBA from your router's DHCP table (probably from its list of known devices, but the exact terminology used depends on the vendor). That should force the Mac to request a new DHCP lease and the the DHCP server to issue a new one.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I assume your Air is pre USB 3. Never-the-less, I’d disconnect all usb devices and see if there’s an improvement. I’ve found many of the usb devices I’ve bought in the last few years broadcast interference all over the place.

Michael Whytock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2020
I have no usb devices plugged in...

Network Preferences says it is connected but when I click assist me the ISP shows as yellow. How can you be connected but it doesn’t work? None of the other steps above work. I might just get a new router...

Last edited:

Michael Whytock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2020
They are on different channels. Just an iPhone 10 which connects fine. It’s a MacBook Air 11-inch early 2015, version 10.12.6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.