Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dweb619_2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Colbert Nation
i have mid 2011 iMac. it will connect to the internet but only for like 15 seconds then after that it disconnects. i have a iPad, iPhone and Chromebook at arms reach and they are all connected to the same wifi and no issues there. so i know its the iMac.

i have restarted the computer, i have removed the and added the network back, i went into the keychain and removed the airport password too and still not able to get a stable connection. before i get this answer "take it to a apple store" i live in west virignia and god forbid apple build a store here.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
i have mid 2011 iMac. it will connect to the internet but only for like 15 seconds then after that it disconnects. i have a iPad, iPhone and Chromebook at arms reach and they are all connected to the same wifi and no issues there. so i know its the iMac.

i have restarted the computer, i have removed the and added the network back, i went into the keychain and removed the airport password too and still not able to get a stable connection. before i get this answer "take it to a apple store" i live in west virignia and god forbid apple build a store here.

1) Ensure your OS is fully up-to-date. If you're on El Cap, you need to be on 10.11.2. Yosemite, you need to be on 10.10.5. Mavericks, 10.9.5. If you're on Mountain Lion or earlier, I'd recommend you upgrade to El Cap.

2) Change the wireless encryption on your router to WPA2-PSK (might be called WPA2-AES) only - no mixed modes like WPA Auto or anything like that.

3) Do you have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz wireless? If so, does the issue persist on both channels?

4) Try take out the power cable for your router, leave it for 2 minutes, and plug it back in.

5) Reset PRAM (hold CMD, Alt, P, R on startup until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go)

6) If issue persists, try create a new administrator user account for testing purposes. Does the problem happen on that?

7) Quote this and let me know the news. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Just for test purposes, can you connect the problem iMac to the internet via a WIRED (ethernet) connection?

dweb619_2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Colbert Nation
1) Ensure your OS is fully up-to-date. If you're on El Cap, you need to be on 10.11.2. Yosemite, you need to be on 10.10.5. Mavericks, 10.9.5. If you're on Mountain Lion or earlier, I'd recommend you upgrade to El Cap.

2) Change the wireless encryption on your router to WPA2-PSK (might be called WPA2-AES) only - no mixed modes like WPA Auto or anything like that.

3) Do you have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz wireless? If so, does the issue persist on both channels?

4) Try take out the power cable for your router, leave it for 2 minutes, and plug it back in.

5) Reset PRAM (hold CMD, Alt, P, R on startup until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go)

6) If issue persists, try create a new administrator user account for testing purposes. Does the problem happen on that?

7) Quote this and let me know the news. :)

step 6 worked but the connection will last about 40 seconds now. :)

but other than that it's still not working.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
i'd have to have about 30 foot cord.

Good job no-one suggested taking it to the Apple store if you won't take it 30ft. You are getting good help here, I'm sure the problem is frustrating as anything to you but probably best to help in the process as much as you can...it may even turn out to be a hardware issue necessitating taking/sending it for service.

dweb619_2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Colbert Nation
Good job no-one suggested taking it to the Apple store if you won't take it 30ft. You are getting good help here, I'm sure the problem is frustrating as anything to you but probably best to help in the process as much as you can...it may even turn out to be a hardware issue necessitating taking/sending it for service.
lol well it was a hardware issue what do you think it could be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.