Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Hello everyone and thank you for your help in advance.
I have the MacBook Pro 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X and... well the problem I have is the following:

A friend of mine cracked the screen of my new bought laptop unfortunately.. At the same day I did the update to Catalina 10.15.6.
The issue with which im dealing with right now, is that the WiFi is constantly dropping, and I have no idea why! So I came to the conclusion that maybe the Antenna of the Mac broke and that's why it keeps on dropping? (check picture).
I have tried almost everything: Delete the WiFi, add it again, change the location, did hard reset , installed macOS Catalina 10.15.6 again, formatted it. After the format my Mac was again brand new and it was okay for 2 days. Then the problem started again. I have no idea why, but it would be such a bad lack if the Antenna really did break and that's why it keeps on disconnecting. Thank you in advance for your opinions or extra help!
Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 11.24.32 PM.png

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
As a test, disable the built-in Wifi and use a USB WiFi dongle. If the WiFi remains connected, using a USB dongle may be the cheapest solution.
So you think that really the Antenna may broke and that's why it keeps on disconnecting? Thats so crazyyy

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The antenna may not be broken or severed, but the shielding around the WiFi antenna may have been compromised and the antenna is making contact with a metal part inside the casing that's causing a grounding or shorting issue.

I can tell you that the metal wires inside the plastic casing are very thin and fragile.

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
The antenna may no be broken, but the shielding around the WiFi antenna may have been compromised and the antenna is making contact with a metal part inside the casing that's causing a grounding or shorting issue.
thank you!

Reactions: Audit13

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Thats another photo for the ones who are wondering about the crack.. One last question: The Antenna of the laptop is really there, where the crack took place?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 11.24.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 11.24.32 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 218

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't know about your particular model but the antenna wires in the late 2013 to 2015 Retina Pro run along the bottom edge of the screen. Same for the camera wires.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Funny I still use a Netgear A7000 802.11AC USB adapter and a long usb 3.1 cable to get the the antenna closer to the router and the external USB adapter has a stronger signal than the internal wifi on the MacBook Pro 16.

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Any chance you are using a UniFi access point?
Try another one (another brand).
What do you mean by UniFi access point? I came to a friend and have been using the Macbook over one hour.. Wireless Diagnostics is on. No problem at all with the connection. Maybe it has to do then with the WiFi I have home? But my phone is normally connected to it and doesn't even disconnect. Its weird! Does it have to do maybe with frequencies? 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

macpanzer

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
What do you mean by UniFi access point? I came to a friend and have been using the Macbook over one hour.. Wireless Diagnostics is on. No problem at all with the connection. Maybe it has to do then with the WiFi I have home? But my phone is normally connected to it and doesn't even disconnect. Its weird! Does it have to do maybe with frequencies? 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

UniFi, a family of networking products (including wireless access points) made by Ubiquiti: https://unifi-network.ui.com/wi-fi

There are a number of posts on Ubiquitis forum describing wireless issues with Apple computers. I had serious problems myself and after a lot of troubleshooting, trying various AP firmware versions and at the end even reinstalling macOS (just to rule out the most unlikely cause) had to stop using an UAP-AC-HD. The connection to my MBP was so unstable that any even slightly larger file transfer broke, on 5GHz the AP kept detecting a radar (none exist in the area, nor has any other WIFI AP ever detected one) as soon as some persistent traffic was made from the MBP and even during regular web browsing there were problems. For whatever reason the problems were only with the MBP (a 16" 2019 MBP) a DELL laptop was fine and I could not notice problems with iPhone / iPad.

Switched to a Zyxel NWA5123-AC HD and everything has been peachy ever since.

Reactions: AntonisReverse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.