Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Hello Every One,
just upgrade from monterey to ventura.
On my network with various devices, I have some on static IP different from what being advertised by the DHCP server on the network.
Usually in Mac OS X and MacOS prior to Ventura I was able to create different WiFi Service on the same WiFi Interface and manage them.
After upgrade to ventura the configured WiFi are there and I can create new ones too but I am unable to change their respective details.

Is this a known bug? Is this a finction disabled in ventura? are there any other macos users out there with my situation? How did you go around this issue? Should I downgrade to Monterey?

Its the second time I upgrade to Ventura from Monterey, the previous times I downgraded as there were lot of security issues. Was unable to set screen saver lock period to require password to unlock and when was able to set was never able to modify again.

The WiFi and network in general was a total mess, had had to downgrade.
Today seems clean enough but still networking issue.

Please share if anyone got a solution.
thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    59 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 50

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I have personally never used the feature you are describing, but I was able to reproduce the isseue you are facing (I think :)). Clicking on the details button behind the WLAN-name just took me to the edit page for the primary Wi-Fi service, not the scondary.

It does look like you can use ifconfig to statically asign other IP-addresses like you are describing (man ifconfig for details). Not sure how persistent that will be though.

But why would you need a seperate IP-address to reach your other devices? Wouldn't it be better if you implemented IP routing between the IP subnets? That would also allow you to implement a firewall between your computer and IoT-devices. You might have to install a mDNS-repeater though, if you have devices requiring service discovery.

Thorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
MacOS is getting more and more strange in terms of userfriendliness/functions.
seems like they've got immature developers working erratically at cupertino.

Hopefully they will remedied this issue. Even with the 13.6 update this problem persist. Else i wish my downgrade back to Monterey works as well as last time.

Will wait for future updates and see.

Thorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
one more issue noticed, On wired LAN, when ip changed, if network system was displaying the actual setting of wired LAN, it does not display the newly acquired IP, must click on network and click back on the wired LAN interface for it to display the new IP!

hopefully my downgrade to monterey will go well

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I've experienced the need to restart System Settings to get some network related settings refreshed in the display.

I also believe the the multiple service situation is a bug. I was able to recreate it and there is no reasonable explanation why multiple services can exist if they can't be configured separately (in the UI). In fact, while experimenting with multiple services for the one WiFi interface, I encountered a bug; I enabled one of the two services and the other one showed as enabled instead.

There are many bugs in the networking components in System Settings in Ventura. The developers of System Settings released alpha level software.

Thorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I've experienced the need to restart System Settings to get some network related settings refreshed in the display.

I also believe the the multiple service situation is a bug. I was able to recreate it and there is no reasonable explanation why multiple services can exist if they can't be configured separately (in the UI). In fact, while experimenting with multiple services for the one WiFi interface, I encountered a bug; I enabled one of the two services and the other one showed as enabled instead.

There are many bugs in the networking components in System Settings in Ventura. The developers of System Settings released alpha level software.
A feature I and many others definitely need. On working mcbpro with high sierra I have 22 locations configured with a multitude of services for both wired/wireless/usb ethernet dongle devices which are used to configure various lans and vlans devices in various locations!

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
A feature I and many others definitely need. On working mcbpro with high sierra I have 22 locations configured with a multitude of services for both wired/wireless/usb ethernet dongle devices which are used to configure various lans and vlans devices in various locations!

I genuinely believe that a person with technical requirements that go beyond 10 years (just a guess) will have to leave the Apple ecosystem. It's not just bugs or development incompetence; they seem to forget why some of their old decisions added value and they casually discard them.

Thorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I genuinely believe that a person with technical requirements that go beyond 10 years (just a guess) will have to leave the Apple ecosystem. It's not just bugs or development incompetence; they seem to forget why some of their old decisions added value and they casually discard them.
This old mac is getting second life for managing network appliances which only need FTP, SFTP, CoolTerm, Terminal, a browser, a wired and wireless access, its access to the internet is even not permisible so why acquire a new if this one can still be of good use!!
And actually there are a bunch of Apple devices to soon be repurposed which is where this old dinosor can be replaced, and these repurposable devices latest supported OS is Ventura.

Thorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Good news! This problem is solved with Sonoma Update!!
!! Not at all, Issue still there in Sonoma. work for a while then all went back to being buggish. I can now access the details but setting for one wifi instance just applies for all others!

Install on a fresh new NVME too, same bug. I thought it was an issue with my previous configs files from Monterey to Ventura and back to Monterey and again to Ventura and now Sonoma.

Only works well in Monterey! Downgrading Now unfortunately.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
!! Not at all, Issue still there in Sonoma. work for a while then all went back to being buggish. I can now access the details but setting for one wifi instance just applies for all others!

Install on a fresh new NVME too, same bug. I thought it was an issue with my previous configs files from Monterey to Ventura and back to Monterey and again to Ventura and now Sonoma.

Only works well in Monterey! Downgrading Now unfortunately.

If I were in this position I would confirm that I could achieve what I wanted from the command line. It would be a bit of an effort. Then, once I'd confirmed that it's a System Settings application bug, I'd contact Apple support and be very aggressive in getting confirmation that it's a bug.

I'd also consider strongly switching that Mac to running Linux.

All of this is a massive time sink, but great learning opportunities. You have my sympathies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.