Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdabo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Hi Guys,

New here. Newish to Mac as well so please excuse my ignorance

So I'm having troubles with my wifi. I don't think it is a hardware issue because it is working, just not as it should be.

When I click on the wifi icon I can only see my router, and I remember some month ago I was able to see a lot more networks in my area.

Next, when I connect to my network, one of 2 things happen: either it does not connect (and I've run the diag many times), or it does connect, barely, and the speed is low.

Also, if I use my laptop near the router, on my desk, it works well, most of the time, but if I moved it 2 or 3 metres, on the couch, same room, it stops working! ***, macbook? This has happened in different locations, with different networks.

I have tried some youtube vids, where you need to delete the files in sysconfig and so on, with no luck. I even opened up the back, checked for faulty wires or such, again, no obvious fix.

Sys specs and wifi specs below.

I really have no idea what to do next and I thought of trying here for answers before taking it to the shop.

Ps: I know there are a few more questions like this, couldn't find them right now, so please excuse if this is a duplicate and advise/forward as necessary.

Many thanks!

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Well, you know this, but you have a very weak signal. -87dbm is weak. This is also reflected in the transmission rate (Tx) of 1 Mbps. (Note that this is the rate from your MBP to the router.)

If you are at a completely different location, such as a library or friend's house, does it also perform poorly? Do other devices (iPhone, tablet, laptop) also perform poorly?

bogdabo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Hi
Thank you for your answer.
The attached is from my mom's house, router being in the hallway, laptop in a room next to the hallway (don't remember if door closed or not). Anyway, no more that 3-4 meters away. Thing is my brother has good signal, same config, in the room next to mine.

Iphone works great, I actually used it as a hotspot, as my MBP cannot connect to wifi.

Other locations: same issue, back home is this: Also, if I use my laptop near the router, on my desk, it works well, most of the time, but if I moved it 2 or 3 metres, on the couch, same room, it stops working.

I've read somewhere someone saying that if they kept the mac in an horizontal, sturdy position on a desk, all was well, but once moved (say, keeping it on your lap), wifi drops. Does anyone heard about this and what might be?

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
I save the same problem...each day...its all about High Sierra...never had the problem until this OS....Does Apple much care?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Depending on the router, some physical locations are better than others. The "rule of thumb" used to be that wifi signals lost 10% through wooden walls, 50% through windows, and nothing went through metal or masonry. That said, between the router and you: is there a refrigerator or heater; brick wall, plaster wall with metal lathe? Newer routers that use mesh or MIMO can overcome these problems.

Also, is there more than one wifi router (or access point)? Two routers can create "dead zones" where the radio waves cancel each other out.

I'm not aware of any meaningful performance affects regarding position of the laptop. You may want to try repositioning the router, or any external antennas.

One more thought: http://osxdaily.com/2015/12/15/reset-bluetooth-hardware-module-mac-osx/

bogdabo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Depending on the router, some physical locations are better than others. The "rule of thumb" used to be that wifi signals lost 10% through wooden walls, 50% through windows, and nothing went through metal or masonry. That said, between the router and you: is there a refrigerator or heater; brick wall, plaster wall with metal lathe? Newer routers that use mesh or MIMO can overcome these problems.

While you have a point, this should and definitely is not affecting my connections. One thing I remember before having this issue is I used to see a lot of wifi networks in the area. Now I only see one (the router in the house) I can barely connect to it.
I'm really starting to believe this is some planned obsolescence on Apples part, because, as the poster above said, I didn't had these problems before updating.
I know, it sounds consipracyish, but stil...
Thanks for the link.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'm really starting to believe this is some planned obsolescence on Apples part,
Certainly not in my experience. I have HS running on a 2009 MP. I'm typing this on a 2013 MBP running HS. I rebuild MBAs and MBPs from 2008, including MBAs from 2011 to 2015.
You can always take it to Apple and they will run a free diagnostic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.