Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
So I read on here and other sources if the watch and iPhone are on the same wifi they will connect.

I have my iPhone on the music dock and when I walk away from Bluetooth da be it disconnects. Am I supposed to program the phone to be on the same wifi?

What am I missing.

Thanks in advance.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
only certain functions still work over wifi. I may be wrong, but those features are text messages and emails.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
So I read on here and other sources if the watch and iPhone are on the same wifi they will connect.

I have my iPhone on the music dock and when I walk away from Bluetooth da be it disconnects. Am I supposed to program the phone to be on the same wifi?

What am I missing.

Thanks in advance.

Try disconnecting your iPhone from the Wi-Fi network and then add it back again. Make sure you are using a 2.4 GHz network.

Apple Watch can’t configure new Wi-Fi networks on its own, but it can connect to Wi-Fi networks you’ve set up on the paired iPhone.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone are on the same network but aren’t connected by Bluetooth, you can also do the following on Apple Watch without iPhone:

Send and receive messages using iMessage
Send and receive Digital Touch messages
Use Siri

Check out the Apple Watch User Guideon the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/gb/4HEW6.l

princealyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Might be the wifi in my parents house.

I will try again when I get to my house. I just want to change music and my notifications.

Thanks.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
This was one of the reasons I returned mine. They said they are no longer pushing that feature as it has a high failure rate. On an all apple network, mine did not work.

d

Cjhooper

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
After you are connected to wifi on your iPhone try turning Bluetooth off on your phone. The watch try's to desperately hang on to Bluetooth and it fails to switch over to wifi sometimes . Turning Bluetooth off works well for me.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Here is my finding so far:

1) Only works on 2.4GHz network (The router can be configured to board cast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time, but the 2.4GHz must available in the same Network. The watch cannot join a Wi-Fi network only have 5GHz signal.)

2) Only use WPA2 Personal password (not even WPA/WPA2, it may works with other type of password, but seems not stable)

3) Must have good signal (e.g. only 1 bar on your iPhone may means the watch can't receive anything)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

1) Only works on 2.4GHz network (The router can be configured to board cast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time, but the 2.4GHz must available in the same Network. The watch cannot join a Wi-Fi network only have 5GHz signal.)

2) Only use WPA2 Personal password (not even WPA/WPA2, it may works with other type of password, but seems not stable)

3) Must have good signal (e.g. only 1 bar on your iPhone may means the watch can't receive anything)

4) Make sure your 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks don't have the same names. Your iPhone won't care, but it'll confuse the watch, so they each need a unique SSID.

5) There have been instances where you need to make your iPhone forget the network and re-add it for the Watch to pick them up.

ALL functionality works over wifi or bluetooth. Anyone saying otherwise is talking out of ignorance.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
4) Make sure your 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks don't have the same names. Your iPhone won't care, but it'll confuse the watch, so they each need a unique SSID.

5) There have been instances where you need to make your iPhone forget the network and re-add it for the Watch to pick them up.

ALL functionality works over wifi or bluetooth. Anyone saying otherwise is talking out of ignorance.

May explain why mine doesn't work. I use dedicated 5 GHz networks.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
May explain why mine doesn't work. I use dedicated 5 GHz networks.

Yep, the watch only does 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n. It doesn't do 802.11 AC (which surprised me when they announced it, as most new i-devices have it).

Oh, and before anyone asks. Wifi calling (also known as UMA/GAN) that T-mobile, Rogers and some other carriers support, is not forwarded to the watch currently. It may come in a future release (or it may not, if it's a political reason why it's absent). I'd expect to see FaceTime audio added one day soon at the very least.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

In my case, I allow the Time Capsule and Airport Express use the same Wi-Fi name for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz network. No problem so far.

Agree that forget + re-join a network is a very useful way for trouble shooting. It may be the quickest way to make the watch join a Wi-Fi network.

And so far, all functions works on my watch via Wi-Fi as well, exactly the same as BT.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Something else to keep in mind. The security handshake between watch and iPhone is done over bluetooth. So, if the iPhone goes out of range (e.g., you leave your phone at home) and you have bluetooth turned off on your phone, it won't be able to authenticate with the watch until you turn bluetooth back on, on the phone.

(we verified that previously).

Hmm. That could cause people some issues when they work in a "campus" environment when they're going between buildings. (there's typically dead zones outside).

If you actually drop out of wifi coverage and you're too far away (think it's 30 meters) for bluetooth, you may not reconnect to the iPhone over wifi until you're back in bluetooth range.

The watch will still reconnect to wifi, but you'll have limited functionality (eg. Messages and a couple other watch apps)

TxRN

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
On the move

I'm guess #2 and/or #3 may be the reason I have problems with mine. I can go in my backyard with my watch and iPad and still have connectivity on my iPad and not my watch. The watch will show the little red symbol. That's what made me initially assume it only connected via BT and not wifi.

The signal strength on my iPad is typically 1-2 bars. I don't go too far, but I still seem to have connectivity issues within my home (wifi and AW). I'm not sure if I need to first troubleshoot with my internet provider, Apple or both.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I'm guess #2 and/or #3 may be the reason I have problems with mine. I can go in my backyard with my watch and iPad and still have connectivity on my iPad and not my watch. The watch will show the little red symbol. That's what made me initially assume it only connected via BT and not wifi.

The signal strength on my iPad is typically 1-2 bars. I don't go too far, but I still seem to have connectivity issues within my home (wifi and AW). I'm not sure if I need to first troubleshoot with my internet provider, Apple or both.

If your ISP isn't providing the WAP, not sure why you would call them.
You should make sure your 5 and 2.4GHz networks have different ssid's and only connect the iPhone and watch to the 2.4ghz network.
Sounds like your signal strength is lousy in the back yard. The watch only has a tiny antennae. You can't expect it to work on weak signal like your iPad or iPhone.
You may need a better wap so you have stronger signal strength in the back yard (or increase the signal strength in the wap's configuration of possible.

CreativeName

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
4)

I have been looking for this answer in black and white (just as you stated) so thank you for that. Now I just need to figure out why mine won't work properly. I only have limited watch functions on wifi. (Both at home wifi AND work wifi.) I suppose it's the 5ghz issue, which will probably lead me to return the watch and move on. I can fiddle with my home wifi and possibly resolve it, but not my work wifi... and if I have to drain my phone battery by staying connected to bluetooth all day, I just can't justify keeping this. Please, if anyone has any advice, do share!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I have been looking for this answer in black and white (just as you stated) so thank you for that. Now I just need to figure out why mine won't work properly. I only have limited watch functions on wifi. (Both at home wifi AND work wifi.) I suppose it's the 5ghz issue, which will probably lead me to return the watch and move on. I can fiddle with my home wifi and possibly resolve it, but not my work wifi... and if I have to drain my phone battery by staying connected to bluetooth all day, I just can't justify keeping this. Please, if anyone has any advice, do share!

Agreed, if it's the 5GHz issue, you just make sure that network has a different SSID and don't add it to the iPhone at home. At work, if they have the same names for the 5GHz/2.4GHz networks, you may be sunk. Are they broadcasting both?
It may be worthwhile talking to one of the network admins there (if you're chummy with any of your IT guys). Perhaps they can segment the mac addresses for your iPhone and watch to the 2.4GHz segments?
I've also heard of people having issues getting the WPA Enterprise working. (haven't tried it out myself yet).

Good luck!!

CreativeName

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Agreed, if it's the 5GHz issue, you just make sure that network has a different SSID and don't add it to the iPhone at home. At work, if they have the same names for the 5GHz/2.4GHz networks, you may be sunk. Are they broadcasting both?
It may be worthwhile talking to one of the network admins there (if you're chummy with any of your IT guys). Perhaps they can segment the mac addresses for your iPhone and watch to the 2.4GHz segments?
I've also heard of people having issues getting the WPA Enterprise working. (haven't tried it out myself yet).

Good luck!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the info.... all good thoughts! I'll talk to IT... I'll just explain how this will make me so much more productive at work, therefore it's necessary. HA! Thanks again :)

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
... I can fiddle with my home wifi and possibly resolve it, but not my work wifi... and if I have to drain my phone battery by staying connected to bluetooth all day, I just can't justify keeping this. Please, if anyone has any advice, do share!

Have you tried bluetooth? If you leave wifi on, it's using more power than bluetooth generally. I can't imagine it will drain your battery. It's lower power than wifi, which is why the watch uses it unless it has large transfers and needs the speed.

I suppose you might see more drain if you plan on leaving the phone far away from the watch most of the time. It should use more power if it's right on the edge of the bluetooth range.

CreativeName

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Have you tried bluetooth? If you leave wifi on, it's using more power than bluetooth generally. I can't imagine it will drain your battery. It's lower power than wifi, which is why the watch uses it unless it has large transfers and needs the speed.

I suppose you might see more drain if you plan on leaving the phone far away from the watch most of the time. It should use more power if it's right on the edge of the bluetooth range.

Oops... I was always under the impression Bluetooth was a big battery-drainer! I had no idea Wifi was worse. I learned something new.

I ended up finding that my work Wifi is 802.11n, which the watch evidently does not support. That is frustrating! From PCmag: "Apple's post on its watch clearly states that the Apple Watch only supports 11b and g. Perhaps 802.11n and even 802.11ac support will be in the next Apple Watch iteration?"

So, connecting via Bluetooth it is, at least while I'm at work which is unfortunate since this is where most of my time is spent.

Medicman67

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Does the watch automatically connect to what ever wifi the phone it connected too? Cause I can't find a wifi setting on the watch. #

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

Does the watch automatically connect to what ever wifi the phone it connected too? Cause I can't find a wifi setting on the watch. #

yes, the watch gets the credentials and authentication from the iphone and whatever SSID and Password (or none, but not http confirmation) the phone has stored.

you DO have to be far enough away for the Bluetooth to either disconnect or be too poor, but I find that is at least 40 ft, at 30-40 ft. it will still try and hold the BT connection, but it will be SLOOOWWWWWwwww,,,

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Monitoring my Airport Extreme base station (2.4 GHz WPA2) my Apple Watch Sport will be listed in Wireless Clients as 802.11b/g/n. I can identify it by the WiFi Address as listed in the Watch iOS app under General -> About. Simply turning Bluetooth off via the iPhone's control panel will cause the Watch to jump onto WiFi.

When connected to WiFi, all functions work, including receiving a voice call placed via my home landline to my iPhone and answering it on my Watch (surprisingly low latency and excellent call quality). Most importantly, pinging the iPhone works.

I have plaster walls in this 100 year old house, so my WiFi signal on 2.4 GHz doesn't go very far. I may install some repeaters to help with that. 2.4 GHz is the same frequency used by microwave ovens, so my or a neighbor nuking a cup of coffee can take down or slow down WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.

I wouldn't expect the Watch to have a powerful WiFi transmitter, which would limit its maximum range from the base station, but who knows.

Now, what would be cool would be WiFi connection to the cloud / phone on different networks, so if I left my iPhone at home, I could still receive services on my Watch via the gym's WiFi coverage. I think Android Wear is soon to offer that... would be nice to see Apple do similar.

Medicman67

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
yes, the watch gets the credentials and authentication from the iphone and whatever SSID and Password (or none, but not http confirmation) the phone has stored.

you DO have to be far enough away for the Bluetooth to either disconnect or be too poor, but I find that is at least 40 ft, at 30-40 ft. it will still try and hold the BT connection, but it will be SLOOOWWWWWwwww,,,

Ok thanks

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)

Good luck!!

You've made good posts, but your info about the SSID's being different is not correct.
I have my SSID as all the same. I have 2 Airport Extremes in my home. The SSID is singular (same login/password) for all devices. My watch works just fine. I don't' have to create a different SSID for 5ghz.

Originally, I did have to "forget" my network and re-login with my iPhone to 'teach' my watch the login, but that was it. It works well.

I'll add one other thing. If I know that I'm roaming a lot in my home without my phone, I'll turn Bluetooth off on my phone and have them both go to wifi. Otherwise, my watch and phone struggle to use BT and burn a lot of battery. Also, if they're struggling to use BT, my notifications will be SLOW. If I'm all WIFI, it's all good all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.