Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
Hello,

I am having troubles with wifi since my clean install of El Capitan 10.11.4 on my MacBook Pro 9,1 (15" mi 2012).

I can connect sometimes to my wifi router but the connection is not staying. A ping in the Terminal show regularily no route to host or very long response time.
When I try to disconnect and connect again to the wifi, I can't (impossible to connect).
I tried on another router, or with my phone connection shared via wifi, same behavior.

I tried several things to fix the problem:
> reset PRAM
> reset SMC
> deleted networking preferences and recreated them
> deleted files in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, rebooted and try to connect again (solves the problem temporarily)
> disabled bluetooth
> disabled ADWL

I am desperate, I don't know what to do else to fix my problem !

Any advice ?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hello,

I am having troubles with wifi since my clean install of El Capitan 10.11.4 on my MacBook Pro 9,1 (15" mi 2012).

I can connect sometimes to my wifi router but the connection is not staying. A ping in the Terminal show regularily no route to host or very long response time.
When I try to disconnect and connect again to the wifi, I can't (impossible to connect).
I tried on another router, or with my phone connection shared via wifi, same behavior.

I tried several things to fix the problem:
> reset PRAM
> reset SMC
> deleted networking preferences and recreated them
> deleted files in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, rebooted and try to connect again (solves the problem temporarily)
> disabled bluetooth
> disabled ADWL

I am desperate, I don't know what to do else to fix my problem !

Any advice ?

This is an ongoing problem and it looks like it's the WiFi driver crashing. People have been experiencing it since launch of El Capitan last year. We can only hope Apple provides a fix. As someone who beta'd the 10.11.4 beta, nothing ever got fixed. The driver doesn't crash on Windows from experience. I'm testing the 10.11.5 beta, and although the issue still occurs, turning WiFi on and off resolves the problem where it didn't used to.

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
This is an ongoing problem and it looks like it's the WiFi driver crashing. People have been experiencing it since launch of El Capitan last year. We can only hope Apple provides a fix. As someone who beta'd the 10.11.4 beta, nothing ever got fixed. The driver doesn't crash on Windows from experience. I'm testing the 10.11.5 beta, and although the issue still occurs, turning WiFi on and off resolves the problem where it didn't used to.
I thought I was almost alone in this case but you seem to say that we are several people in the same case.

What solution do we have ?
Reinstall Yosemite ? I will try this soon...

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
I already tried everything on this page with no result...

Yesterday I installed Yosemite (10.10.5) from scratch on a second disk I have in my mac, the connection to the wifi network is ok but the connection is not stable (a single ping on a website for 200-300 packets lost between 10 and 20% of the packets...).

Another thing I noticed is that I cannot be far from the wifi router or the connection is lost. Only in the same room where before I was able to go in other rooms (5 meters through walls max) with only a smaller speed on the connection.
I really don't understand this... It seems like an hardware problem now ! Or am I crazy ?

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
The most likely cause of the issue is wireless interference. Have you eliminated that possibility?
I tried to change the channel, after looking for the less used near me. I even tried to change to 802.11g instead of n...

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
802.11n is significantly more resilient to interference than 802.11g.
I switched back to 802.11n.

Do you own any other devices that support Wi-Fi, such as an iPhone?
Yes, I have an android phone, my girlfriend's PC (running windows) and a logitech squeezebox which are connected without problems to the router (through wifi).

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
I launched several times a ping from the windows PC of my girlfriend and a ping on my macbook pro at the same time, on the IP of my router (192.168.1.254) and I have none or close to 0% of packet lost on the windows PC. On my mac I have sometimes 5%, sometimes 95% !

It also depend on where I am in my apartment (near the router or at 4 meters - in the same room)...

tom123

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
I switched back to 802.11n.

Yes, I have an android phone, my girlfriend's PC (running windows) and a logitech squeezebox which are connected without problems to the router (through wifi).
From a post on another thread - this work for me! Thank this guy if it works for you too.
mattopotamus

"I had a lot of wifi drops and went to system preference----network---advanced----TCP/IP----configure ipv6 and changed it to link-local only."

On my iMac - it doesn't seem to matter, automatic or link-local only - works good. But on the new MacBook it has to be on link-local only or i get dropouts!

Last edited:

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
I tried. Not better.
The strange thing is that I begin to loose packets when I am at 3-4 meters from the router. Before I was able to get sifi through walls at 5-6 meters at least.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
Thanks for your information benthewraith.
But I still don't understand why I have the problem with Yosemite also ?

Can you tell me how to check that the WiFi driver is crashing ? (Terminal command or other)

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks for your information benthewraith.
But I still don't understand why I have the problem with Yosemite also ?

Can you tell me how to check that the WiFi driver is crashing ? (Terminal command or other)

In the console, you can find crash reports for various things. Driver crashes have been showing up for me. Ironically, since airdropping a file to my computer, the behavior has returned. Turning the WiFi on and off fixes it right now.

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
In the console, you can find crash reports for various things. Driver crashes have been showing up for me. Ironically, since airdropping a file to my computer, the behavior has returned. Turning the WiFi on and off fixes it right now.
Hi,

I still have troubles with wifi.
I did not noticed particular errors in the console when I enconter the troubles, though.

I want to try with a wifi dongle so the wifi card is different, and see if it changes something... But I first need to find a wifi dongle :)

@benthewraith : how is it on the OS X 10.11.5 beta ?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
@benthewraith : how is it on the OS X 10.11.5 beta ?

It's been crashing on me still, but not as frequently, and it's easier to recover from a stall (simply turning WiFi on and off. I used to have to shut down and restart.). Here's a picture of my console.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 4.00.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 4.00.48 PM.png
    616.8 KB · Views: 203

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
It's not.

Just a heads up but it is perfectly possible for "normal" WiFi issues to occur instead of, or in parallel with any driver issue. Just because there IS a known WiFi driver issue doesn't mean all the previous normal issues go away and EVERY issue has to be down to this.

limonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016

Just a heads up but it is perfectly possible for "normal" WiFi issues to occur instead of, or in parallel with any driver issue. Just because there IS a known WiFi driver issue doesn't mean all the previous normal issues go away and EVERY issue has to be down to this.

True.

And yesterday, I opened my Macbook and disassemble it.
I found that the wires of the wifi antennas are cut ! This explains why I loose the signal when I am away from the wifi router and why I loose packets !
Now my problem is to find a spare part to replace both wires and antennas (I assume it is solded together)...

preview_png.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.