Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zalamatoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Hey guys!
This is my first macbook.
My problem is that everytime I try connect to my macbook to my wireless rounter(dlink wireless) I get connection time out. But the Macbook work fine if I connect ethernet.

Any help would be nice.

Thxx guys

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Hey guys!
This is my first macbook.
My problem is that everytime I try connect to my macbook to my wireless rounter(dlink wireless) I get connection time out. But the Macbook work fine if I connect ethernet.

Any help would be nice.

Thxx guys

Do you have wireless encryption enabled? If so, which type? WEP, WPA, WPA2? If it is enabled, try temporarily disabling wireless security to see if you can get a signal.

Also, check to make sure you have the latest firmware version for your router.

What channel are you using? Use only channel 1, 6, or 11 since these are non-overlapping. Download AirRadar or iStumbler to see how many other wireless SSIDs appear and which channels they're using. Move to the channel that's least crowded (probably 11).

zalamatoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Do you have wireless encryption enabled? If so, which type? WEP, WPA, WPA2? If it is enabled, try temporarily disabling wireless security to see if you can get a signal.

Also, check to make sure you have the latest firmware version for your router.

What channel are you using? Use only channel 1, 6, or 11 since these are non-overlapping. Download AirRadar or iStumbler to see how many other wireless SSIDs appear and which channels they're using. Move to the channel that's least crowded (probably 11).

Thanks for the quick reply ,the rounter is encrypted with WEP. I am the only one using that rounter so i dont think rounter being crowded is the issue.
With your advice I'll try to update the rounter.
Im not really sure what channel is but I'll google it :)

Thanks so much

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply ,the rounter is encrypted with WEP. I am the only one using that rounter so i dont think rounter being crowded is the issue.
With your advice I'll try to update the rounter.
Im not really sure what channel is but I'll google it :)

Thanks so much

Access your router via it's web interface and turn off WEP. See if you can connect once wireless security is turned off. You can also find out what channel you're using under your wireless settings in the router's web interface.

If you have lots of neighbours with wireless routers, their routers can interfere with your router's wireless signal. Channel 11 is usually the least crowded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.