Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
iPhone XS on iOS 13.5.1. Recently, WiFi starts to randomly disconnect. Turnning off WiFi and immediately turning it back on solve the issue. My two laptops use the same WiFi and does not have this issue. I haven't used the iPhone on other WiFi since I have been working from home. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone XS on iOS 13.5.1. Recently, WiFi starts to randomly disconnect. Turnning off WiFi and immediately turning it back on solve the issue. My two laptops use the same WiFi and does not have this issue. I haven't used the iPhone on other WiFi since I have been working from home. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Unfortunately likely won't be helpful, but I'm having pretty much the same experience with my MacBook. It's kind of an oddity that I haven't been able to figure out.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I have seen on Reddit that disabling WiFi assist might help. I tried but it does not seem to help.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
I believed I solved our issue and its going to be hard to believe; but it seems to be the router alone and mac address. Test this out just either restart the router and see if your issue goes away for the phone. I believe its a mac address problem and it would probably be as simple as that. At first I tried restarting my iphone x ios 14 but it seems to be just the router just not wanting to connect to a device with same mac address but seems new to it

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I believed I solved our issue and its going to be hard to believe; but it seems to be the router alone and mac address. Test this out just either restart the router and see if your issue goes away for the phone. I believe its a mac address problem and it would probably be as simple as that. At first I tried restarting my iphone x ios 14 but it seems to be just the router just not wanting to connect to a device with same mac address but seems new to it

I have tried restarting the router but it does not resolve the issue for me. Maybe I should try to reset the router to factory default to see if that helps.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
This random disconnect from WiFi issue appears to be resolved after the iOS 13.6 update. Since updating yesterday, I haven't experienced a single drop from WiFi connection yet. Here is hope that it truly resolve the issue.

5KDan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Michigan
My issue is slightly different. My iPhone no longer connects to known WiFi hotspots automatically. This seems to have started after updating the phone to 13.6.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Hi, I realise this is probably not a solution to your problem but please allow me to post it anyway as it might come up in search and help someone:
I had this problem once and it turned out to be a power/energy saving setting in the router.
If you go into the router and you have such a thing disable it, they cause all sorts of problems I assure you.
It just goes into power saving mode and drops connections when it feels like it.
Best

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
That's a good point. Often we tend to fault the device- phone, laptop but router is also a possible cause.
I am just wondering, shouldn't this power saving feature turn on only when there are no active devices connected for a long time?
Hi, I realise this is probably not a solution to your problem but please allow me to post it anyway as it might come up in search and help someone:
I had this problem once and it turned out to be a power/energy saving setting in the router.
If you go into the router and you have such a thing disable it, they cause all sorts of problems I assure you.
It just goes into power saving mode and drops connections when it feels like it.
Best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.