Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
My wife's Mac Mini (late-2012/MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave) has had two reoccuring issues regarding Internet access/networking, the first one being a problem for years, the second one noticed more recently:
  1. Wifi sharing stops working after a while
  2. Internet access is lost after waking up Mac from sleep
So the first issue happens like this: we create a local Wifi sharing setup (using the "Sharing" system preference) in order to gain network access for iPad etc. This works fine, but after a while (maybe an hour or two) the wifi connection is gone and the menu-bar "wifi sharing" icon changes to the usual "wifi" icon (i.e. it's no longer sharing the Mac's ethernet connection to Wifi, but looking for a wifi connection).
Skjermbilde 2024-01-23 kl. 13.21.56.png

The second issue is separate from the above, in which the Mac has been used normally for email, web etc. (but Wifi sharing turned off), and after a while put into sleep mode. The Mac is connected online via an ethernet cable.
Then a while later woken up again, but despite waiting for a little while (it often takes a few seconds, or up to half a minute or so) for the Mac to properly wake up, Internet access is never again restored. Using two instances of the "IP widget" I see that one of them gets an IP address while the other gives me an error message. I believe the one that works is the local (LAN) one, while WAN no longer works.
The only solution to the issue is to restart the Mac.

Now, I also have a Mac Pro (mid-2010) also running MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) which has neither of these problems, but actually the second issue can't be fully reproduced there because it won't let the computer go to sleep as long as the Internet is shared.
As for the first problem I've never experienced a lost wifi sharing connection on that computer.

Back to the Mac Mini: I believe we had at least the first problem going back to earlier MacOS versions as well, prior to upgrading to 10.14, so the OS version doesn't appear to be the cause. So I'm wondering if this could be a hardware issue and possibly a known problem specific to this Mac model -does anyone know? And is there a good solution to it all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.