Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
Long story short, my iPod touch and ONLY my iPod touch's WiFi shuts off when the device is locked, not my iPad, and not my brother's iPodseither. Is there anyway to fix this?

I have misplaced it and because of this bug I have been unable to 'ring' it with Find My iPhone, as it says it is offline. My iPod touch runs iOS 6.1.2 as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 300

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
I have already tried to restore it to fix this bug, with earlier versions of iOS 6 and the latest version. The bug has existed in every version of iOS 6 since launch, yet iOS 5 it would always stay on.

This bug has become an annoyance and I have already reported this to Apple twice, once for the launch of iOS 6 when I first discovered it, and another occasion when I couldn't find it.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Wifi is suppose to turn off when locked to prolong battery life (wifi doesn't turn off right away though)

I am not sure if push notifications switch wifi on or not

I never quite understood that thing about wifi and push notifications on a non-cellular device

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
Wifi is suppose to turn off when locked to prolong battery life (wifi doesn't turn off right away though)

I am not sure if push notifications switch wifi on or not

I never quite understood that thing about wifi and push notifications on a non-cellular device

I could see it doing that if it were a phone but it's not..

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I could see it doing that if it were a phone but it's not..

I thought it was just something implemented into iOS (to turn off wifi after some time in sleep mode)

It did that with my iPod touch 2nd gen on both iOS 3 and 4. I never really understood how my push notifications got through with wifi off though. Strange now that I think about it

----------

I thought this was by design.

I'd like to be able to force it to stay on as well.

Is your device jailbroken?

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
I thought it was just something implemented into iOS (to turn off wifi after some time in sleep mode)

It did that with my iPod touch 2nd gen on both iOS 3 and 4. I never really understood how my push notifications got through with wifi off though. Strange now that I think about it

----------

Is your device jailbroken?

Not jailbroken.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Not jailbroken.

I was asking the other user if he was jailbroken because there is a cydia tweak that allows wifi to remain on all the time

As to you, like the previous poster, I thought wifi turning off when in lock screen (for 1-3 minutes) was by design of iOS

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I know this isn't going to help you with your situation but I run my iPhone with cellular data off.

I'm still able to get push notifications over WiFi even though for the first split second after waking the device it doesn't show the WiFi signal bars as if disconnected.

I don't understand how it works but it does. I think it has something to do with WiFi Beacons.

At work they just got some new access points that somehow completely cut off my iPhone when it's asleep though, very annoying. After waking my phone at work it takes ~45 seconds to reconnect fully to WiFi and then I get all my notifications.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.