Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
For nearly a thousand years, WiFi sync between my phone (currently running 10.3.2) and Mac mini (running Sierra presently) worked just fine. Suddenly last week, it stopped. Syncing with a USB cable works fine. Unplug the cable, and you get the grey sync button and the message in the title.

I have tried all of the following multiple times and in varying orders. None of it has helped:
  • Restarting iTunes
  • Rebooting the computer
  • Rebooting the phone
  • Connecting with a cable, unchecking the "wifi sync" checkbox, applying that, then re-checking it and applying that
  • Reinstalling iTunes
  • signing out of iCloud on the phone (and back in)
  • signing out of iCloud on the mac (and back in)
  • killing usbmuxd and letting it restart
  • killing iTunes helper and restarting it
  • Changing the name of the computer and toggling the wifi sync checkbox in iTunes.
  • Switching between Ethernet and WiFi connectivity on the mac (both networks are bridged with an AirPort express).
It's 2017. Why is this just not a done deal by now?!

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Well, I spent an hour and a half at the local Genius bar. I think I spoke with every genius in the place and none of them could figure it out.

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
For nearly a thousand years, WiFi sync between my phone (currently running 10.3.2) and Mac mini (running Sierra presently) worked just fine. Suddenly last week, it stopped. Syncing with a USB cable works fine. Unplug the cable, and you get the grey sync button and the message in the title.

I have tried all of the following multiple times and in varying orders. None of it has helped:
  • Restarting iTunes
  • Rebooting the computer
  • Rebooting the phone
  • Connecting with a cable, unchecking the "wifi sync" checkbox, applying that, then re-checking it and applying that
  • Reinstalling iTunes
  • signing out of iCloud on the phone (and back in)
  • signing out of iCloud on the mac (and back in)
  • killing usbmuxd and letting it restart
  • killing iTunes helper and restarting it
  • Changing the name of the computer and toggling the wifi sync checkbox in iTunes.
  • Switching between Ethernet and WiFi connectivity on the mac (both networks are bridged with an AirPort express).
It's 2017. Why is this just not a done deal by now?!

Here's what works for me.
  1. Turn off wifi on computer and shut down itunes.
  2. turn off wifi on iDevice
  3. turn on wifi on computer and open itunes.
  4. turn on wifi on iDevice
  5. itunes now finds my iDevice again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.