Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I’m hoping I can describe this so people can understand.

I upgraded to the 4s so I gave my wife my iphone 4. The iPhone 4 was synced to my iMac. When I gave it to her, she synced it with her windows 7 laptop and restored it from a backup of her 3GS. Both the iphone 4 and 4s have wifi sync turned on.

The problem is that the iphone 4 still tries to sync wireless with my imac instead of her windows laptop. Itunes is open on her laptop as it always is but always connects to my imac. Is there a way to prevent this and why is this happening (I assume because it use to sync to my iMac)??

Luckily it will pop up and say her contacts will be deleted and mine will move over to it. I just cancel that but it’s annoying. Also, wifi sync on the iphone 4 in settings show both the laptop and my imac.

Anyone else have this problem? Quick solution or a software fix?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
iPhone showing up on BOTH computers due to WiFi Sync

I have two Macs. A Mini and a Macbook. The Mini was what I used to upgrade my iPad and iPhone to iOS5, but the Macbook is my primary. The problem is that every time I turn on WiFi sync (clicking the sync using wifi button in itunes) the iPad and iPhone shows up on BOTH computers and randomly chooses to sync between either system. But since both computers dont have identical libraries then it breaks a lot of playlists or constantly reloads apps i deleted.

Ive tried to create a new library on the Mini but it still shows up so it seems to be tied to the computer itself. So what direction can anyone send me to reset the device lists on my Mini because this is annoying.

Thanks. :)

midifool

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Me too!

Can't believe no more than the two of us are having this issue! It causes my iPhone 4s, iPhone 4 and iPad to sync with my iMac instead of my macbook Pro where the media is located! Leads to lengthy sync session as all apps, photos, music and podcasts are deleted then added again! HELP!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That is weird. Anyway, I'd try connecting your device to the computer you do NOT want to sync with, and when the device appears in iTunes, uncheck ”use wifi sync with this device" in the General tab.

midifool

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Solved!

Go into iTunes -> preferences ->devices, and check the box 'Prevent iPods. iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically'!

Last edited:

ladysman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Go into iTunes -> preferences ->devices, and check the box 'Prevent iPods. iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically'!

I'm almost 100% positive this is already checked for me but i'll double check.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
PLug it in to the bad computer, go in prefs and look for the device list, then there should be something like "forget this device"

ladysman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
That is weird. Anyway, I'd try connecting your device to the computer you do NOT want to sync with, and when the device appears in iTunes, uncheck ”use wifi sync with this device" in the General tab.

I did this 3 days ago and it fixed it. We-todd moment for me. Can't believe i didn't realize that..lol:D

border

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
What device list?

PLug it in to the bad computer, go in prefs and look for the device list, then there should be something like "forget this device"

I'm probably stupid, but what exactly do you mean by "device list"?

If I go into prefs and choose the "Devices" icon, I get a list of the backups: i.e. name of the device and the backup date. I can choose to delete a particular backup, but I see nothing like "forget this device".

Below the list of backups there are only checkboxes to prevent automatic sync and to manage audio control. There is also a "Forget all remotes", but since I do not have any remotes, this is grayed out.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Would be most grateful for your help - I have f.... up a company phone and would like to hide the fact ;)

Stevecosta

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
f you own an iPhone, you may notice that when you plug your iPhone into a variety of computers, yours or other people’s, and you’ll find that your phone and iTunes want to wipe everything clean and start over, every single time.

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
This worked for me

My situation was similar to some. I had two devices listed in my iTunes wifi sync area on my iPhone 5S. Both were my Mac Mini. One had all the items I chose to sync (Apps, Books, Movies, Photos, and Tones). The other had no items listed. It's "sync now" icon was also greyed out. But, it was annoyingly there. The only thing I could hypothesize that created this rogue 2nd sync device was when I chose to uncheck the option in iTunes..."Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected." I did that because I was using a piece of software (PhoneClean Pro) that had its functionality compromised when my iPhone started to auto sync at the end of its data cleaning procedure. I am guessing that iTunes recognized this new setting for syncing as a "new computer." So it created this new syncing device in iTunes Wi-Fi Sync...even though this "new" device was still my one, and only one, computer...my Mac Mini. OK, that is the background. Here is what I did to remove that second device...leaving just that one Mac Mini in the iTunes Wi-Fi Sync area that had all my syncing items listed.

1. I made a "backup to computer" of my iPhone. Not a iCloud backup...although I did backup to iCloud for good measure :). I wanted a complete backup as I was going to do a "Restore FROM BACKUP." iCloud backs up only the most important items on your iPhone. I wanted everything...including my app folder organization scheme so it could easily be recreated in the restoring process.

2. I clicked on "Restore" in the top right corner of the iTunes screen. You have to turn off "Find my iPhone" before doing this. If you don't...not to worry. iTunes will prompt you to turn off "Find my iPhone" if you forget.

3. The restore process began. This is not a 2 minute deal so be patient. When the first part of the restoring is finished you will get a prompt as to what backup you want to restore from...choose that last Backup to Computer you did in #1.

4. At this point all your data will be transferred back to your iPhone...apps, music, app folder structure, etc. This is going to take a while...especially if you have a lot of apps, music, etc. I'm talking a couple hours.

5. Once this process is complete you will have most of your iPhone back just as it was. You will have to sign back in to some things. But, in general, because you restored from backup you will not have nearly as much to do compared to if you Restored your iPhone as NEW.

6. You will also notice that if you go to General-->iTunes Wi-Fi Sync you will only see ONE device. The device on which you did the restore...in my case, my Mac Mini. Those extra devices will be gone.

7. Not only did I have "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected" unchecked. I also had "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi" unchecked before starting this process.

8. My last step was to turn back on "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi." BTW...all this is being doing with the iPhone connected to my computer via USB. I then clicked on "Sync Now" on my iPhone in "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync" with the USB cable still connected. Then I disconnected the USB cable and redid the procedure in the previous line.

9. All is now good. My iPhone syncs over wifi and I have only one device listed in the "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync" page.

There is more waiting than hard work involved with this procedure. So, don't make a go of it until you have some time on your hands to keep an occasional eye on your computer while the process moves along. Certainly, if you want to clean some toilettes and a couple loads of wash as the same time you are good to go for than kind of multitasking. :)

Hope this is some help to others.

Cheers, Mr. Luigi

BrianPex

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Back-up restore - only way

There is only one way this is fixed - properly and cleanly while keeping everything and having some space cleared up while at it:

BACK UP VIA ICLOUD OR ITUNES

Go reset the phone back to Out of Box new:

General>Reset>Erase and content and Settings

Make sure to ok the next few "Are you sure ?'s"

When iPhone restarts, it is like new phone. When prompted,
restore from back up.

This will take a while but everything is back-PERFECT. Plug your iPhone into Mac and in iTunes you will now see the phone and on phone you only the one computer!

page-fault

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
There is only one way this is fixed - properly and cleanly while keeping everything and having some space cleared up while at it:

BACK UP VIA ICLOUD OR ITUNES

Go reset the phone back to Out of Box new:

General>Reset>Erase and content and Settings

Make sure to ok the next few "Are you sure ?'s"

When iPhone restarts, it is like new phone. When prompted,
restore from back up.

This will take a while but everything is back-PERFECT. Plug your iPhone into Mac and in iTunes you will now see the phone and on phone you only the one computer!

I was able to remove the duplicated sync target by settings/general/reset/reset all settings

No data was removed but the 2nd instance of the same computer is now gone in 'iTunes Wi-Fi Sync'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.