Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
I put together a list of some things that helped me finally get wifi working on the iPhone.

iPhone WIFI Tips

The biggest one was the last one for me. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get my wifi working and finally got it working.

BoomKing

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Connected, but wouldn't work solution

My problem was my iPhone found my linksys router and showed full connection, but I couldn't get it to work (occasionally safari would load a page I'd already loaded using Edge, but even that was sparingly). I tried setting no security/no password, and still nothing.

Finally I found a post on the apple user discussion forum that mentioned they went to their Wi-Fi settings on the iPhone and switched to Static and typed in the DNS from the router. I tried DNS 1 first (for me it was 198.168yada yada yada) and it didn't work. I then tried DNS 2 (for me it was 68.87yada yada yada) and it WORKED!

So for the record I'm using a linksys WRT54G router with WEP security (make sure you type in the WEP Hex/ASCII password on the iPhone).

Hope this helps!
The Boom King

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Darn, I was hopeful. But I tried changing the DNS and still no play. Exact same problems that you stated (Linksys router shows full connection, but unable to connect to anything). EDGE connection is fine, just slow. I'm using a Linksys WRT300N.

:(

kyRx

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
I could log on too, but couldn't browse

The router accepted my WEP password before, but I couldn't browse until I tried the aforementioned tip. Now everything is A-OK, with wireless as the default connection. Good luck and I hope you solve your problem.

chuise

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Wayne, PA
Switching to "Static" and removing my local DNS entry worked perfectly! Thanks for the post. This was driving me CRAZY!

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
I finally fixed mine by changing my WEP password to all numbers. Evidently (although I doubt it) my iphone was confused by an alphanumeric password. Both iphones work now.

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
My problem was my iPhone found my linksys router and showed full connection, but I couldn't get it to work (occasionally safari would load a page I'd already loaded using Edge, but even that was sparingly). I tried setting no security/no password, and still nothing.

Finally I found a post on the apple user discussion forum that mentioned they went to their Wi-Fi settings on the iPhone and switched to Static and typed in the DNS from the router. I tried DNS 1 first (for me it was 198.168yada yada yada) and it didn't work. I then tried DNS 2 (for me it was 68.87yada yada yada) and it WORKED!

So for the record I'm using a linksys WRT54G router with WEP security (make sure you type in the WEP Hex/ASCII password on the iPhone).

Hope this helps!
The Boom King

This is exactly what i had to do with the exception of making it Static.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.