Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miss Daredevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
As the title says, my WiFi keeps disconnecting whenever my phone goes into sleep mode. This started happening the moment I signed with a new internet provider and they came over to set up the new gear. I have read online that turning off WiFi in sleep mode is a feature that is supposed to preserve battery and that the iPhone is supposed to be doing that, but I used a number of different WiFi's since getting the phone (my old one from another provider, my friends', public, etc.) and WiFi would ALWAYS stay on even if my phone is in sleep mode and locked for whatever time.

I suspect the problem is with my new router and my phone (all other phones - Android, Windows, work FINE on my new router and they never disconnect, the WiFi works flawlessly with them). It's just my iPhone that's the problem. :/

Can you guys help me?

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, it's not the router. It always does that for all iPhones unless the phone is plugged and charging.
When it's unplugged after a while it disconnects from wifi to save battery.
Why do you want it always connected when not in use?

Reactions: T5BRICK

kch50428

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
North Iowa
Getting the same info here as you got on iMore I see... When locked, iPhones will go into a "hot standby" mode for wifi to conserve battery... they connect to the wifi and use it when locked as needed. When waking up the phone, sometimes the display lags and you see wifi appear to be reconnecting.

Miss Daredevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Guys, with every other router that never ever happened before, though. I'm at my friend's now, I've been connected to her WiFi for two hours now, no lags, no disconnects in sleep mode, nothing. With my new net I don't even get notifications on my phone until I unlock it/wake it up.

Miss Daredevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Nope. That's not the point, the point is that I want my WiFi turned on all the time until I choose to turn it off, and that's suddenly not happening.

If this happened with every single router, I would get it, but it just happens on this one.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It happens on every single router and every single iPhone since the original iPhone was released back in 2007.
It only stays connected if the phone is plugged in to charge.
Like I told you before its not something you have any control over. its an Apple preset.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
First thing I'd do is test out the above comments. Plug your iPhone in while you are on wifi, let the phone lock/sleep and have a friend send you some sort of notification or do it yourself with a computer. See if you get them.

This could help narrow down the change you are noticing.

As mentioned above the behavior could be normal its just odd you are just now experiencing it. I notice my iPhone seems to stay connected to wifi, HOWEVER I'm using Wifi calling. Currently my iPhone has been unplugged and locked for about an hour.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 9.55.11 AM.png

Reactions: Applejuiced

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Guys, with every other router that never ever happened before, though. I'm at my friend's now, I've been connected to her WiFi for two hours now, no lags, no disconnects in sleep mode, nothing. With my new net I don't even get notifications on my phone until I unlock it/wake it up.
When not plugged in and with mobile data enabled the phone typically disconnects from WiFi, as was mentioned by others. If plugged in or if there's no mobile data (or WiFi isn't in use for other reasons like WiFi calling let's say) then it would typically stay connected.

That said, there was a recent discussion about something similar, so perhaps something from that discussion might be of help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-disconnects-when-screen-is-off.1983229/#post-23137722

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
It also happens for me everytime. It doesn't bother me for iPhone because LTE replace WiFi when it does occur but it really bother me for my WiFi only iPad, especially when I want to use Find my iPhone to locate it or check for the battery status.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Nope. That's not the point, the point is that I want my WiFi turned on all the time until I choose to turn it off, and that's suddenly not happening.

If this happened with every single router, I would get it, but it just happens on this one.

As others have said, disconnecting from wifi when the phone sleeps has been normal behavior on every iPhone. It's possible that you just didn't notice it before.

b1709946

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2017
As the title says, my WiFi keeps disconnecting whenever my phone goes into sleep mode. This started happening the moment I signed with a new internet provider and they came over to set up the new gear. I have read online that turning off WiFi in sleep mode is a feature that is supposed to preserve battery and that the iPhone is supposed to be doing that, but I used a number of different WiFi's since getting the phone (my old one from another provider, my friends', public, etc.) and WiFi would ALWAYS stay on even if my phone is in sleep mode and locked for whatever time.

I suspect the problem is with my new router and my phone (all other phones - Android, Windows, work FINE on my new router and they never disconnect, the WiFi works flawlessly with them). It's just my iPhone that's the problem. :/

Can you guys help me?

Turn wifi on (doesn’t matter if you connect to a wifi network now or later, but the wifi toggle must be on). If your ios device supports mobile data, turn it off for now.

Turn off the device (by keeping the sleep button pressed and then swiping)

Wait 30s

Turn it on

After the home screen loads, reset it (hold the home and sleep buttons down and keep holding until you see the apple logo)

That’s it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Turn wifi on (doesn’t matter if you connect to a wifi network now or later, but the wifi toggle must be on). If your ios device supports mobile data, turn it off for now.

Wait 30s

Turn it on

After the home screen loads, reset it (hold the home and sleep buttons down and keep holding until you see the apple logo)

That’s it.
What is all of that supposed to do? :confused:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

You already have the answer. Get your own wifi router and disable the wifi function of the one from your internet provider. I recommend Apple AirPort Extreme for guaranteed compatibility.

For others, OP's problem is NOT that the iPhone going to standby mode for wifi. The issue is that it cannot receive push notifications during standby, when it should.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
I had problem with wifi turning off when phone is locked. Then what did I do is...

Went to router settings

My network was hidden, I made it again visible, then I disable 2.4Ghz access point, only leaving 5Ghz. After that I choose only AC for band ditching N+AC. I changed name of AP to Happynetwork. Restart the router, forget network on iPhone, log in, restart the phone. Done.

I don't have anymore problems with disconnecting when phone is sleeping.

BTW my phone has Intel modem. iPhone 7 10.3.1 and now 10.3.2. No problems at all.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

Wait 30s

Turn it on

That’s it.
Wut...

Not only are you replying to a year old post, but your directions make no sense. If you want someone to factory reset it, then why even bother having them turn WiFi on, reboot, wait, then reset it? That makes zero difference if the last step is to factory reset it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wut...

Not only are you replying to a year old post, but your directions make no sense. If you want someone to factory reset it, then why even bother having them turn WiFi on, reboot, wait, then reset it? That makes zero difference if the last step is to factory reset it.
The last step there seems to be just a plain reset (not a factory one). That said, it doesn't seem like that would do anything when it comes to changing how an iOS device behaves in relation to WiFi while it's asleep.
[doublepost=1495644031][/doublepost]
I had problem with wifi turning off when phone is locked. Then what did I do is...

Went to router settings

My network was hidden, I made it again visible, then I disable 2.4Ghz access point, only leaving 5Ghz. After that I choose only AC for band ditching N+AC. I changed name of AP to Happynetwork. Restart the router, forget network on iPhone, log in, restart the phone. Done.

I don't have anymore problems with disconnecting when phone is sleeping.

BTW my phone has Intel modem. iPhone 7 10.3.1 and now 10.3.2. No problems at all.
You are saying that while your phone has a cellular/mobile data connection it still stays continuously connected to WiFi even when it's asleep? How did you verify that?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The last step there seems to be just a plain reset (not a factory one). That said, it doesn't seem like that would do anything when it comes to changing how an iOS device behaves in relation to WiFi while it's asleep.
[doublepost=1495644031][/doublepost]
You are saying that while your phone has a cellular/mobile data connection it still stays continuously connected to WiFi even when it's asleep? How did you verify that?

^ this.

How are you proving this - Djilkosh?

Because it flies in the face of iOS that it's connected 100% of the time.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
How can I prove guys? I don't have another camera/mobile to take a video, but the thing is that from then I have never seen that wifi is connecting. You know in the status bar when I unlock I see LTE then it shows after second or two wifi icon. Now I only have wifi icon constantly when I unlock the device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How can I prove guys? I don't have another camera/mobile to take a video, but the thing is that from then I have never seen that wifi is connecting. You know in the status bar when I unlock I see LTE then it shows after second or two wifi icon. Now I only have wifi icon constantly when I unlock the device.
So you have WiFi calling? Is your mobile data on? Is your device plugged in? How long has it been asleep?

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
My carrier doesn't support wifi calling. My mobile data is always on because I was on Android for many many years (1.5 version I think it is cupcake) there is wifi settings for (always on, off when device is sleeping, on when plugged on charger) so my habit was always on connected. Why would phone turn wifi off and drain mobile data? My device isn't plugged in always (only when I'm sleeping).

Phone can sleep for hour or two (when I watch some TV series or movies) or if I take a nap. I don't have "delay" for connecting wifi. I know that my phone is always connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.