Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
I know Apple is working on an update to resolve some of the wifi issues.

However , my problem is signal strength. I notice if I get more than 35 ft from a wireless router my signal drops severely. It still works at 1 bar but at times it stalls and I have to refresh my connection. This has happened with 3 different routers , works great if im close to the router :rolleyes:

My guess is that my problem will not be resolved with a software update. Im guessing that it is a hardware issue , that wont be addressed till the next revision.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject ?

I have 3 days to decide wether or not to switch to 3G.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I know that with the first ipad I had, I had a lot of wifi issues with both dropped signal and weak signal like you mention having. This was with my airport extreme base station. Finally I took it to apple and swapped it out. Since I got the replacement, I have had almost no wifi issues at all over the last almost month now. This had really lead me to think that not all the wifi issues are just software related. Some of it has to be hardwre related as well. I am not saying that it is that way with everyones, but for me it must have been. :p

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
Well now that you mention it , if it's a hardware issue then all wifi models would experience the same issues.

Now I'm not so sure. Same hardware in all so why would some have problems and some don't... :rolleyes:

Well my 3G is in and I have till tom to make a decision. Really sucks to be forced to spend more money on a 3G when I shouldn't have to. If my wifi worked properly I would be happy tethering when the rare occasion called for it.

DemonBob

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Bolton, NC
Well now that you mention it , if it's a hardware issue then all wifi models would experience the same issues.

Now I'm not so sure. Same hardware in all so why would some have problems and some don't... :rolleyes:

Well my 3G is in and I have till tom to make a decision. Really sucks to be forced to spend more money on a 3G when I shouldn't have to. If my wifi worked properly I would be happy tethering when the rare occasion called for it.

You are always going to have a failure rate on anything that comes off an assemably line. They may be put together the same, but that does mean the manufacture of a particular part didn't do thier job on the QA on thier end. The circuit stamping machine could have been off by 1 nano meter for a few thousand before the machine was adjusted.

Same thing with cars, you might have two brand new cars off the lot of the same make and model, just because they are new doesn't mean a starter or alternate isn't going to go out in a few weeks.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
You are always going to have a failure rate on anything that comes off an assemably line. They may be put together the same, but that does mean the manufacture of a particular part didn't do thier job on the QA on thier end. The circuit stamping machine could have been off by 1 nano meter for a few thousand before the machine was adjusted.

Same thing with cars, you might have two brand new cars off the lot of the same make and model, just because they are new doesn't mean a starter or alternate isn't going to go out in a few weeks.

That's true , I understand getting a bad Apple.... :D

So now I either take the 3G model tomorrow or go home without one and wait and hope the next wifi version works properly :confused:

Decisions , decisions .....

Encanto

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
iPhone Wifi Vs. iPad wifi

If I am about 10 ft away from my router the wireless from my ipad drops severly, while using my iphone on wifi the signal remains strong. Anyone has tried this???

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Same issue. On my AEBS and Belkin router G-only mode maintains a strong signal, but still seems slow. I continue to try different configurations with N, but signal is very unstable beyond a 20 feet range. It irritates me that with all apple devices I can't really benefit from the latest wireless technology/speeds. Otherwise, what's the point? I hear others state that they have blazing speed and are impressed by the ipad's wifi. So I'm considering exchanging with the hopes that I'll get a "newer" ipad, possibly with some sort of revision to the hardware to improve signal strength. (Got mine second week of April)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.