Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozdoug3084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
My son has an iPod which we have been able to connect to our home wireless router to give him internet access.

However, I have a second wireless router that I use for travelling product demonstrations. I don't have internet access on this router, I don't need it all I want to do connect wireless devices to a PC.

Now I have an old HP iPAQ and connecting it to my second router is a no brainer because all that stuff about gateways etc is irrelevant because I am not accessing the Internet. All I need is a WEP password and away it goes.

However, the iPod just doesn't work at all. I get the tick beside my second router after entering the WEP password but cannot ping or anything. In fact if my internet connected router is within range the iPod will ignore my selection and swap to that.

Am I missing something or does the iPod simply not work without the Internet?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It works without the Internet. When connected to the non-Internet network, do you see the little WiFi bars in the status menu and/or does the iPod get a proper IP address?

ozdoug3084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
It works without the Internet. When connected to the non-Internet network, do you see the little WiFi bars in the status menu and/or does the iPod get a proper IP address?

Yes I get the quarter round radiating bars plus a tick to the left of the network name. It actually seems to be staying with it now and not wandering off as it sometimes does.

As for IP address I have gone for a static one same as I did for the router that works - chose a slightly different actual IP address on the same subnet. Everything else the same as for the other router - not that it should matter - gateway, DNS etc should be irrelevant.

And if I ping the subnet it does recognize and ping itself

Last edited:

ozdoug3084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
All going now. I suppose all I really needed was someone to tell me it should work.

For the record I changed the IP address of my second router to be on the same subnet as everything else and changed the WEP password all round.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
What's the point?

What do you plan on doing on an iPod touch without the Internet? The only thing I can think of is the handful of games that let you multiplayer over wifi....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.