Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Hey, all. I've the latest simultaneous dual band AE, which is okay, but not for my results and that kind of $$. And the N band is barely usable, only if within 10 ft of the base station. G has better range, but still slow. I'd love to make use of the latest wireless tech, since that's part of what we're paying for with both devices. I'm done trying to make the AE work. I'm aware that it's a known issue on "a few" iPads, but many people seem to be fine with their wifi connection.

So PLEASE suggest a wireless (N) router you personally have had a strong signal with on the iPad. And one that might also be WDS or wireless bridge compatible so that I could extend the network in the future if needed.

Many thanks!

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I use an old AirPort Express. The range can leave a bit to be desired in distant rooms, but otherwise it's great. The signal does drop when I'm only 8 feet away every now and then, so I'm hoping the eventual firmware update will fix this.

In the meantime, my parents have a Netgear router and the iPad can scarecely connect to it, so in my limited experience it's safe to say the iPad definitely plays much nicer with Apple's own products.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
I use an old AirPort Express. The range can leave a bit to be desired in distant rooms, but otherwise it's great. The signal does drop when I'm only 8 feet away every now and then, so I'm hoping the eventual firmware update will fix this.

In the meantime, my parents have a Netgear router and the iPad can scarecely connect to it, so in my limited experience it's safe to say the iPad definitely plays much nicer with Apple's own products.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it's just my Airport??

But I've also wondered about nearby signal interference. I live in a small apt unit. But the Airport Utility reads -90 noise or better usually, so....?

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Guys with an airport....
Do me a favor and check your iPad's signal strength when placed right on top of it. Mine reads -46 signal with -90 noise.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Hmm. Is there a way to make my simultaneous dual band AE ONLY 5GHz N?? It doesn't seem to let me assign the same to both bands, even when pressing the option button in Airport utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.