Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
I loves me some wii sports baseball! I'm slowly getting better and better at it...
but as I play more, a scoring thing makes me think:
I hit the ball, it bounces on the ground, yet I'm still out!!
It touched the ground. I shouldn't be out!!

If I'm out because they passed it to each other and tagged me out, that'd be one thing, but it bounces, it's caught, and I'm mysteriously out!

Anyone care to enlighten? It's REALLY hosing me off.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
it's a simple batting/pitching mechanic. If you hit a ground ball on the infield and the defense snags it, it's assumed you were thrown out at first, much like in wiffle ball.

don't read too much into it, it was meant as just a demo to show a batting/pitching interface, not a full fledged baseball game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Wii Sports has taught me the rules of baseball, and my god it's similar to Rounders! Might be Dutch Rounders (Dutch Cricket?). It's been years since school :D

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
It touched the ground. I shouldn't be out!!

I was watching my kids play this morning and was wondering the same exact things. My daughter (5) hit a couple of grounders and they said she was out.

it's assumed you were thrown out at first, much like in wiffle ball.

Makes sense though, since you never really see them throw the ball around.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Wii Sports has taught me the rules of baseball, and my god it's similar to Rounders! Might be Dutch Rounders (Dutch Cricket?). It's been years since school :D

I wouldn't trust Wii Sports to learn the rules of baseball. Try watching some real baseball, or do you get any in the UK?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn

Wii Sports doesn't accurately portray baseball at all. It's more like what you do at baseball practice. A huge part of baseball is the conflicts between the runners and the players on the field, especially in a 'pickle' situation (player is stuck between two bases).

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Speaking of which, why in the world is there no baseball game available for the Wii, besides the watered down Wii sports offering? :mad:

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Wii Sports doesn't accurately portray baseball at all. It's more like what you do at baseball practice. A huge part of baseball is the conflicts between the runners and the players on the field, especially in a 'pickle' situation (player is stuck between two bases).

Nope it doesn't and I'm sorta glad. 9 Innings can take forever. I remember a sox game lasting 5+ hours one time.

There's a reason why it's more like baseball practice and 3 innings. I have problems crashing into furniture already. Imagine if you actually had to field and not just pitch?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
So, I had it explained to me the other day:
If they catch it within the diamond, it's out.
If it bounces in the outfield, then they catch it, it's a single
if it bounces in the outfield, rolls around for a second, it's a double.
If it bounces off the wall and rolls for longer, it's a triple
and of course, if you hit the crowd, it's a home run.

*shakes head*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.