Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hello,

Mods and MR Admins, I would like to submit a suggestion regarding stickies. Given recent events and in-fighting over who gets to do stickies, I would like to propose a neutral solution.

For future reference, all stickies should be made into wikis. That way, no one poster controls the information flow on said sticky given their status of "OP". This means we can have one mega thread that be used for multiple times like product launches or pre-orders.

That said, for product launches, I would suggest we have mods only make those types of threads, further leveling then forum and prevent user fighting over who gets to do what thread. This sticky would also be a Wiki to also allow community engagement.

Any comments or thoughts?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hello,

Mods and MR Admins, I would like to submit a suggestion regarding stickies. Given recent events and in-fighting over who gets to do stickies, I would like to propose a neutral solution.

For future reference, all stickies should be made into wikis. That way, no one poster controls the information flow on said sticky given their status of "OP". This means we can have one mega thread that be used for multiple times like product launches or pre-orders.

A very good idea.
That said, for product launches, I would suggest we have mods only make those types of threads, further leveling then forum and prevent user fighting over who gets to do what thread. This sticky would also be a Wiki to also allow community engagement.
An excellent suggestion.
Any comments or thoughts?
Firstly, I completely agree with you about this.

Actually, given the recent drama, I think this to is an excellent suggestion, and would ask the staff to consider ensuring that threads dealing with matters such as product launches are started by staff.

This would see off any attempts to pre-empt the actual launch of a product by starting any sort of pre-order thread, and would also serve to put paid to any potential disagreements by members who may have sought to be "the first" to start such a thread.

Reactions: Clix Pix

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I thought this was already gone through in a previous thread from last year. The answer is the community gets to make threads. I would be surprised if that decision is reversed but you never know.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I thought this was already gone through in a previous thread from last year. The answer is the community gets to make threads. I would be surprised if that decision is reversed but you never know.
Agreed that was last year's discussion and stance from the admins/staff, yet look what that got us. A mess, so, I bring it up again to prevent said issue.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
What mess are you referring to?
Recently there was a bout of users being suspended either temporarily or permanently due to infighting over being the owner of the "the sticky thread" of a product launch.

Such infighting could simply be handled by a mod generated thread everyone can edit.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Recently there was a bout of users being suspended either temporarily or permanently due to infighting over being the owner of the "the sticky thread" of a product launch.

Such infighting could simply be handled by a mod generated thread everyone can edit.
Don’t think the mods/admins are going to change their stance on this as it’s my guess they want these threads to be MR poster driven.

I guess the suspended temporarily or permanently should be enough to dissuade discourteous behavior.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

From what I can recall, this happened just due to the issue of infighting over who "owned" - or got to start a thread first - but also form the fact that pre-order threads were started before the product in question had actually been launched, (sometimes, months before it was due to be launched, or released), in clear defiance of staff rules (there was a thread where this was also discussed) that a pre-order thread should not be opened, or started, prior to the announcement of a product launch.

Thus, @jav6454's idea of having the staff not just start such threads, but also determine when such threads can be started, strikes me as an excellent idea.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would guess too, but given recent events, it seems appropriate to bring the issue back to light as a feedback to the staff.
I would think if it’s a policy decision they want to make it would have be announced here already. But the fact that last year there was a bru-haha and they said they wouldn’t make the threads, makes me believe they are not changing their minds.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I would think if it’s a policy decision they want to make it would have be announced here already. But the fact that last year there was a bru-haha and they said they wouldn’t make the threads, makes me believe they are not changing their minds.
That is no reason not to ask them whether they will re-visit the subject and give thought to the possibility of reconsidering that decision.

They can still say "no".

However, those pre-order threads - and the discussions, attention they received, and multiple suspensions that arose from them - may yet give rise to a fresh look at this topic.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.