Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stovak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Psychic tom looks 24 hours into the future:

I'm going to speculate that the so called "video ipod" is not a "pod" at all, but a video chat device. Steve's said several times that there's a video chat solution coming. And the introduction of Ichat sets the "format" it will take. I'm thinking the best way to get someone in the Apple store is offer free video chats to someone in another store.

it's a webcam/video screen that has bluetooth and FW and makes your mac a video chat machine between two iChat clients. it also takes snapshots controlled by iPhoto and lets you store them internal to the device.

But what do I know...I haven't been NDA'd... :)

Haberdasher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It's totally not going to be that. It'll be a firewire box, complete with Replay TV, iChat2, and a 52" plasma screen. Conveniently sized to fit in your pocket, it'll pick up any TV station transmitted by satellite. Includes automatic language translation.

As soon as this rumor does not come true, I think I'll mope around these boards for a while and complain. :D

Nonetheless, new iPod or not, MWSF will be cool.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Forget gadgets... G5

Remember when the TiBook got a Superdrive. Everybody was saying "no way, it's not yet possible".
Well, would it not be freakin' awesome if Apple releases the PPC970 at this show and blows all the mid to end of year estimates?
I can hear it now... "And one more thing..." 1.8 Ghz PPC970, 900Mhz FSB, & Firewire800. No competition anywhere for miles!
That would be Schweet! (but highly improbable)

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Re: Forget gadgets... G5

Originally posted by neonart
Remember when the TiBook got a Superdrive. Everybody was saying "no way, it's not yet possible".
Well, would it not be freakin' awesome if Apple releases the PPC970 at this show and blows all the mid to end of year estimates?
I can hear it now... "And one more thing..." 1.8 Ghz PPC970, 900Mhz FSB, & Firewire800. No competition anywhere for miles!

droooool...
That would be soooooo...unlikely but sooooo cool if it did! :cool:

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
Forget gadgets... G5

O MY GOD that would rock:eek:

Capt. Obvious

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
The Valley of the Blind
I made a comment about a post of mine - but just realised I didn't post it here (no wonder there was no discussion!), so here ya go, from 01-01, in a galaxy far, far away....

ok, lesse....

15" CRT iMac - 499USD
17" CRT eMac - 799USD
15" LCD iMac - 999USD

17" LCD iMac/800mHz/Combo/256MB/80GB/Blue - 1499USD
17" LCD iMac/867mHz/S-Drive/512MB/120GB/Blue - 1899USD

15" LCD display - 499USD
17" LCD display - 799USD
19" LCD Cinema (widescreen) - 1199USD

iPod line - firmware 2.0 (no other change)
Power Mac line - no change

Apple-branded Bluetooth adapter (USB)

FIREWIRE 2 officially launched:
- 1394-b on new iMac configs
- Seagate/WD/Maxtor announce 1394-b-native HDs
- Apple(-branded?) 1394-b/Bluetooth PCI adapter

IP-over-Firewire officially launched
iSync officially launched

iApp upgrades:
iTunes 3.5
iMovie 3
iDVD 3
iPhoto 2
iChat 2 (w/ videoconferencing & voice-over-IP (aka iPhone) via IP-over-firewire)

NEW iApps:
iMusic 1 (eMagic's first fruits)
iWorks (formerly AppleWorks)

QuickTime 7

NOTES
iWorks is Appleworks completely revamped (& tightly integrated w/ QT7) to act not only as a (substantially-enhanced & improved) core productivity suite, but also as a general file-format & media storage, compression, conversion, archiving & exchange control center for the digital hub. Metadata Central. Drag/Drop/Forget, a la the System Folder's auto-sorting, pre-X. Plug-in format/conversion architecture makes imports, exports & all other conversions simple, painless & transparent (and open to (extensible by) 3d parties).

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I'm going to look into my crystal ball (actually my sons' pokeball), and make a prediction.

My prediction is Apple will come out with a imac without the monitor, and sell it for $499, for base model.

Yeah, I'm blowing smoke out my ***,
but who knows, I might be right! :D :D

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
I just got a giant *censored*

Originally posted by mattmack
Forget gadgets... G5

*BOING!*

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Re: Forget gadgets... G5

Originally posted by neonart

...and there would still be people on these boards that would bitch..."what was Apple thinking ONLY 1.8gHz! That's it I'm going to get a Dull for $5, but when Macs reach a 1tHz I'll come back"

You know the types

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Re: Re: Forget gadgets... G5

Originally posted by spinner

...and there would still be people on these boards that would bitch..."what was Apple thinking ONLY 1.8gHz!..."

Your right. There are people who are just not satisfied with anything, or are not intelligent enough to realize that it's not all numbers.
Then there is also the fact that the vast majority don't ever use the potential of their machines. (I'll admit I've done this too at times)- Upgrade your machine or get the latest, fastest thing to do WHAT? Surf? Get eMail? Doodle in M$ publisher or Appleworks? Sometimes I've spend hundreds upgrading only to realize that using some freeware I downloaded had more impact on my work. Or just trying new techniques in the Apps I already use.
In any case, it's fun to speculate and wish for more. It's only natural.
Depending on what's realesed- if it's cool enough, and different enough - I'm sure my friends at VISA and MC are ready to help. ;)

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
The 15" displays have already been dicontinued, and i would not be surprised if the 17" was discontinued as well....it's been years since the last major update, hasn't it?

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by Liamcow
The 15" displays have already been dicontinued, and i would not be surprised if the 17" was discontinued as well

I wouln't be surprised if ALL the current screens are discontinued for something more industry leading.
Superthin screens (like in the TiBook) with swivel bases/arms (like in the FP imacs) would be incredible.
Apple's current displays are pretty, but not much different at all in function than all the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.