Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalebEdenburn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2022
Concord, NC
With the release of iOS and iPadOS 17 this fall, we will now be able to just say “Siri” to activate everyone’s favorite virtual assistant. I recently downloaded the developer betas on my iPad mini 6 and iPhone 14 Pro, and connected AirPods Pro 2 didn’t support it. You still have to say “Hey Siri”. What I’m wondering if this will continue to be an issue after the final release, depending on any AirPods firmware updates. What are your thoughts?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
With the release of iOS and iPadOS 17 this fall, we will now be able to just say “Siri” to activate everyone’s favorite virtual assistant. I recently downloaded the developer betas on my iPad mini 6 and iPhone 14 Pro, and connected AirPods Pro 2 didn’t support it. You still have to say “Hey Siri”. What I’m wondering if this will continue to be an issue after the final release, depending on any AirPods firmware updates. What are your thoughts?
You put the beta for the AirPods on? If you haven't, that's probably why.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
There is a beta. And, no, it does (yet) support “Siri” vs “Hey Siri”.

Hopefully that will come later.

In all other respects, the AirPods beta is incredible. Huge leap forward.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I have 4x OG HomePods and 1x New HomePod (Big One), and they are all running the first audioOS 17.0 BETA, and none of them works with "Siri" either. I still have to say, "Hey Siri", so it seems like the first BETA hasn't implemented this new "Siri" yet. Running the BETA firmware on a pair of AirPods Pro 2, AirPods 3 and AirPods Max, none work with "Siri" either.

Adaptive Noise Cancellation feels impressive on the AirPods Pro 2. But it makes my AirPods Max feel old-school and outdated in comparison as it doesn't seem to get Adaptive Mode as it's linked to the Apple H2 chip.

Reactions: matrix07

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Is the beta for AirPods introducing a lot of issues? I am all set for iOS and iPad is betas… how do I opt in on the AirPods? The adaptive mode is something I need badly

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Is the beta for AirPods introducing a lot of issues? I am all set for iOS and iPad is betas… how do I opt in on the AirPods? The adaptive mode is something I need badly

The beta has been stable for me. But don’t forget: it’s a one way trip. If they brick your AirPods there’s no going back.

To get it, follow the instructions here:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.