Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I want to do a clean install of Catalina and then pull my user data in from my backup drive. My only concern is for my legacy iTunes library. How will the new Music app know to convert from the old iTunes format to the new Music app library? Most important to me are my iTunes playlists. I don't want to lose my playlists. Thanks for any insight.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I clean installed Catalina on an external SSD to boot up and play around with. I had no problem importing my music library into the new Music app. But the playlists were not there.

While you still have the old iTunes library around, export your playlists (and save them somewhere else). They are just text files when exported. Highlight a playlist in the sidebar, go to File/Library/Export Playlist.

Then you can import them into the new Music app later. I did that and the playlists were intact just as they had been before.

Last edited:

marzer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I clean installed Catalina on an external SSD to boot up and play around with. I had no problem importing my music library into the new Music app. But the playlists were not there.

While you still have the old iTunes library around, export your playlists (and save them somewhere else). They are just text files when exported. Highlight a playlist in the sidebar, go to File/Library/Export Playlist.

Then you can import them into the new Music app later. I did that and the playlists were intact just as they had been before.

That‘s what I’ll do. Thank you

Bigpearl

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
How can I fix this
b7f93d07ec5bb5c19b02e417a2a51c55.jpg

Yesshows91

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
I am noticing that you are using "File/Library/Export Playlist". I normally use "File/Library/Export Library" so I can save ALL of my playlists (about 300) and also save all of the folders (about 30). Now that I have upgraded to Catalina (clean install) my system of saving all these playlists is really not working. I can go into detail on that, but I am curious if you are able to save all of your playlists (in folders?) reliably using the Catalina Music app? And after you save them can you re-load them into the Catalina Music app reliably?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.