Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

letsgocoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Hi,

I am needing a new computer (currently using a 900mhz Celeron EEE PC!) and I think it is high time to switch to Mac once and for all (I did have an eMac once in 2004 for Final Cut but sold it when my project was done).

I was waiting for new Mac Minis and was excited when I checked the Apple store today! (I was also checking for the white iPhone ;D)
However, while I am not entirely pleased with the aesthetics of of the new mini, more importantly they have just priced it out of my budget now.

So I was thinking of buying an old 1.66ghz Core Duo model off ebay to use for the time being (~$350), possibly upgrading the RAM or processor down the road, and/or looking for a refurb unibody Mac Mini when they start putting refurbs in the Apple store.

I am a bit worried about power though... however keep in mind I am used to a 900mhz Celeron processor so I am not that demanding. Here is what I will use it for...

-web/email
-boot camp or parallels to run JASC Paint Shop Pro, as well as a couple other windows programs (but the other couple are super lite)
-occasional lite video editing
-lite audio editing (likely Audacity)
-school work

I am thinking it will be fine, although I am wondering if the Intel graphics will be too weak

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I use a CoreDuo 1.66Ghz model every day as my HTPC. I upgraded to the 9400m 2.0Ghz mini when it first came out, but I noticed little difference in day-to-day, so I returned it.

The 1.66Ghz coreDuo seems decent enough for your needs. Especially if you can get a decent deal from an upgrader.

But again, it all depends on your definition of "light editing". You'd also want to upgrade the HD in it - as the 1.66CoreDuo's came with 60GB originally. - you'll blow through that pretty quick, even with standard def editing.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'd keep an eye on the refurb section of the Apple store. I just saw one today for $499. They go quick, so if you watch carefully and jump at the chance, you'll be happier.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I use my old 1.66GHz Mini as my server. It's on 24/7 and is still running fine. Upgrade the pathetic 512MB of RAM to 2GB and you'll be fine. If you're feeling flash you could put a small SSD in there as your boot drive.

The Intel GPU is a bit rubbish to be honest, but I used to be able to run CS2 on it perfectly fine. As long as you understand, and are happy with the limitations, you'll be happy with the machine as it's an excellent little computer.

:apple:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
new ones are out and the old ones just got cheaper...

I am thinking it will be fine, although I am wondering if the Intel graphics will be too weak

totally fine, and a decent value now that the new ones were released. you should be able to score a really good deal.

as above, upgrade the ram to 2gb, upgrade the HD as it is likely to be original (old/slow), and you should be good to go. down the road if the cpu is slowing you down, you can always upgrade that as well. t2700, t7200, t7400, or the t7600 if you are feeling wealthy...

silent, fast (for listed tasks), small, and eco-friendly as it uses little power. :apple:

best of luck.

letsgocoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Cool thanks guys!

I ended up winning an auction for a 1.66ghz Core Duo/2gig ram/80gig hard drive/Superdrive/os X 10.6

I have an external 250gb already if i need extra space, but Ive never gone over 40gigs in my life.

ill only be editing some small 1-3 minute clips from time to time, so i shouldnt have much trouvble with drive space.

ill upgrade the cpu in the fall maybe

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
i really dont think it will be worth it to upgrade the cpu in a mac mini that old.
it wouldn't have that much of an effect on the overall performance.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
i really dont think it will be worth it to upgrade the cpu in a mac mini that old.
it wouldn't have that much of an effect on the overall performance.

1.66Ghz T2300 to 2.33Ghz T7600? No effect? Seriously?

page16_2.jpg

Geekbench and Cinebench both show pretty much 50% improvement. Even the T7200 chip would almost match the P7350 chip from the previous gen-mini in raw performance.

screenshot20100616at120.png

letsgocoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
if i upgrade, itll probably be the t7200 as that seems to be a fairly affordable upgrade (about $80 for a working pull on ebay) which seems like it will be a fair price/performance choice. the t7600 sounds nice but its closer to $200 right now, and at that right i may as well sell the current mini i am getting, add the $200, and buy a newer one altogether.

anyhow, my mini shipped out today so i am excited!

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...it wouldn't have that much of an effect on the overall performance.

you're quite mad. it's like day and night, and i have all the bench data to back it up.

if i upgrade, itll probably be the t7200 as that seems to be a fairly affordable upgrade (about $80 for a working pull on ebay) which seems like it will be a fair price/performance choice. the t7600 sounds nice but its closer to $200 right now, and at that right i may as well sell the current mini i am getting, add the $200, and buy a newer one altogether.

anyhow, my mini shipped out today so i am excited!

nice deal, it'll do great for you and what you listed.

i used the t7200 in mine, and it runs like a champ. been running since the upgrade 24/7 with no problems to mention. best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.