Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Hi as the header say's at the present I have a 2018 Mac mini that will boot from an external hard disc containing Mojave
It just gives me a notification saying that it is not compatible with the current hard disc but runs fine.
t.i.a
Chris_us

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi as the header say's at the present I have a 2018 Mac mini that will boot from an external hard disc containing Mojave
It just gives me a notification saying that it is not compatible with the current hard disc but runs fine.
t.i.a
Chris_us
You cannot run Mojave on any Apple Silicon Mac.
Edit: your subject asks about an M2 Mac but your message mentions a 2018 Mac. It's not clear what computer you actually have.

Reactions: Chuckeee

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A 2018 mini shipped with Mojave, so should continue to boot from a Mojave system on an external drive.
If you have the latest system (Sonoma) on your internal drive, and boot from Mojave on an external drive, you will certainly get that notification that it (Mojave) is not compatilble with the system on the internal drive, which it certainly is not compatible.
And, if you try that external Mojave boot drive on any silicone Mac - you should be able to use that drive for file access, but you can't possibly boot from that Mojave sytem on any M-type Mac.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"It just gives me a notification saying that it is not compatible with the current hard disc but runs fine"

That message is normal.
Just "click through it" and continue.

You'll get that alert if you are using Mojave and connect a boot drive from a newer version of the Mac OS. You can still connect to the part of the internal drive that IS "compatible" (the part that is normally called "Mac OS - Data").

You can't, however, boot an Apple Silicon Mini with Mojave -- too old.

chrisus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Thank you all,
At the present I have a 2018 Mac mini.
I have the latest system (Sonoma) on my internal drive, and boot from Mojave on an external drive, and get
that notification that it (Mojave) is not compatilble with the system on the internal drive, which it certainly is not compatible.
as I understand it now
" if you try that external Mojave boot drive on any silicone Mac you can't possibly boot from that Mojave sytem on any M-type Mac."
Chris_us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.