Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Will Adobe CS5 work on OS Monterey? I currently have a Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8. I don't use Illustrator and Photoshop often and only do small things with it.

I'm planning on getting an M1 Mac Mini soon.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
From what I have read on these forums, CS6 doesn't work with M1 macs.
So CS5 definitely not.

Affinity Photo and Designer are nice alternatives to the Adobe products.

Edit: I think also the Adobe apps are 32bit, which will only work up to Mojave.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
From what I have read on these forums, CS6 doesn't work with M1 macs.
So CS5 definitely not.

Affinity Photo and Designer are nice alternatives to the Adobe products.

While I don't have an M1 Studio ... yet, I have been slowly moving over to the Affinity line of products. Bought them all and have no complaints. It is different, and since I have been using PS since version 4... there is a lot to unlearn and try to relearn in the Affinity way of doing things.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Does Affinity Designer have a Live Trace feature like Illustrator? I use Live Trace a lot in Illustrator?

Is Affinity Photo and Designer a lot different than Photo Shop and Illustrator?

I don't use them enough to justify renting them by the month from Adobe. I'd rather buy the programs once.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Will Adobe CS5 work on OS Monterey?
No, macOS Mohave 10.14.x is the last version that works. I do recommend macOS Sierra 10.12.x or below, as CS doesn't work well with APFS and should be used on HFS+.
Does Affinity Designer have a Live Trace feature like Illustrator?
Not yet and there is there is no roadmap for such a feature. Try something like Vector Magic.
Is Affinity Photo and Designer a lot different than Photo Shop and Illustrator?
Yes, it takes some time to get comfortable with Affinity apps.

Maybe also take a look at Inkscape, Krita and Scribus.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Will Adobe CS5 work on OS Monterey?
Mojave is the last OSX that will run Adobe Creative Suite (dvd) even 6 because that is 32 bits.
I used Corel draw in 1997=99 and was not thrilled, maybe they improved.
while Affinity is good, but hard to get used to tasks like fill tool and naming layers
Krita crashes a lot and the other 2 i have not tried.

hope this helped!

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Corel Draw while a good application does things in a completely different way. We used to support Corel ages ago and man was it an adjustment every time I moved from the Adobe Suite to work on Corel. I phased it out completely, kept one version but did not support any newer versions. To me the Affinity lineup is similar to Adobe in the way it does it. There is definitely a learning curve but it is pretty impressive software for the price. Not something I would replace Adobe CC with, but if I was not making my living with Adobe and doing little odd work here and there I would probably look to switch to Affinity.

CS5 is pretty ancient software and is all 32bit. CS6 brought out a 64 bit version of Photoshop, I can't recall if Illustrator got a 64 bit update or not, thinking not. I know Indesign did not go 64 bit till CC.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
I can't recall if Illustrator got a 64 bit update or not, thinking not.
Adobe Illustrator CS6 16.0.4 is reported 64 bit by Activity Monitor. Although the app itself is 64 bit, I guess there are still 32 bit frameworks or plugins like "adobe_licutil" and "CS6ServiceManager" interacting with each CS6 app, so that they won't run properly on a 64-bit-only macOS beyond macOS Mohave 10.14.x. The required HFS+ filesystem isn't available on newer macOS versions, too.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
One issue with the old CS apps was/is that the apps were ported to 64bit earlier than the installers. There was a time when you could upgrade the OS with CS apps already installed and they would work fine, but you couldn't reinstall them or install them to a new machine.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
you couldn't reinstall them or install them to a new machine.
You can execute the installers without the GUI-wrapper in Terminal.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Corel Draw while a good application does things in a completely different way. We used to support Corel ages ago and man was it an adjustment every time I moved from the Adobe Suite to work on Corel. I phased it out completely, kept one version but did not support any newer versions. To me the Affinity lineup is similar to Adobe in the way it does it. There is definitely a learning curve but it is pretty impressive software for the price. Not something I would replace Adobe CC with, but if I was not making my living with Adobe and doing little odd work here and there I would probably look to switch to Affinity.

CS5 is pretty ancient software and is all 32bit. CS6 brought out a 64 bit version of Photoshop, I can't recall if Illustrator got a 64 bit update or not, thinking not. I know Indesign did not go 64 bit till CC.
I'm not a graphic designer but do use Illustrator for simple designs. I really like Illustrator's Live Trace feature. I don't believe Affinity Designer has a type of Live Trace feature. I think Corel Draw does.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I'm not a graphic designer but do use Illustrator for simple designs. I really like Illustrator's Live Trace feature. I don't believe Affinity Designer has a type of Live Trace feature. I think Corel Draw does.
Tracing in Corel is really good. You can get ok results in Illustrator but for things I need better quality tracing I go to Corel to get the job done.

DrunknMONKY

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
running iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) Monterey 12.5 (21G72) with Illustrator 2020 v24.0.3, works fine.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
running iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) Monterey 12.5 (21G72) with Illustrator 2020 v24.0.3, works fine.
Any version of Adobe CC from the last couple of years should work fine. CS5 is what the OP asked about and that is a gamble.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
No, macOS Mohave 10.14.x is the last version that works. I do recommend macOS Sierra 10.12.x or below, as CS doesn't work well with APFS and should be used on HFS+.

Not yet and there is there is no roadmap for such a feature. Try something like Vector Magic.

Yes, it takes some time to get comfortable with Affinity apps.

Maybe also take a look at Inkscape, Krita and Scribus.
Is there any major problems running CS5 on Mohave 10.14.x?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have only used Photoshop Extended CS5 in Mojave.
Worked fine, just had to install the legacy Java runtime.

I moved to Affinity products though a few year ago.

Reactions: quadra605

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Is there any major problems running CS5 on Mohave 10.14.x?
Speaking for CS5.5, you can run all main apps and get your work done. There are some tweaks, e.g. for a better view of Adobe Illustrator CS5.1 font menu. You don't need to install legacy Java runtime. Creating empty Java runtime folders is all it needs.
Sometimes CS apps are crashing on starting up or quitting and occasionally there are macOS crashes with kernel panics and restarts on a MBP 2019 with T1 chip. What didn't work for me was Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, so I do use Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 and before the update I ran version 2017 (all TLP perpetual license).
The major problem is macOS Mohave itself. As you need to run it with an unsupported HFS+ filesystem, to get a productive Adobe Creative Suite 5 or 6, updating macOS is a hassle, as it just works on APFS. However, there are no more macOS Mohave updates and so that's more or less a problem of the past.
Concluding, if you can run CS5 or 6 on macOS Sierra 10.12.x, I'd recommend doing so. If you must run it on macOS Mohave, it works, but you should test, if it really works for you.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Speaking for CS5.5, you can run all main apps and get your work done. There are some tweaks, e.g. for a better view of Adobe Illustrator CS5.1 font menu. You don't need to install legacy Java runtime. Creating empty Java runtime folders is all it needs.
Sometimes CS apps are crashing on starting up or quitting and occasionally there are macOS crashes with kernel panics and restarts on a MBP 2019 with T1 chip. What didn't work for me was Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, so I do use Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 and before the update I ran version 2017 (all TLP perpetual license).
The major problem is macOS Mohave itself. As you need to run it with an unsupported HFS+ filesystem, to get a productive Adobe Creative Suite 5 or 6, updating macOS is a hassle, as it just works on APFS. However, there are no more macOS Mohave updates and so that's more or less a problem of the past.
Concluding, if you can run CS5 or 6 on macOS Sierra 10.12.x, I'd recommend doing so. If you must run it on macOS Mohave, it works, but you should test, if it really works for you.
Where did you put the empty Java runtime folders?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.