Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonstar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
AirPods 2 for me only stay in my right ear when moving around, will AirPods 3 be the same?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Then you might have to wait until a friend buys a pair, or go to an Apple store to try them on. Are you sure Apple doesn't permit returns?

sonstar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Then you might have to wait until a friend buys a pair, or go to an Apple store to try them on. Are you sure Apple doesn't permit returns?
I live 5 hours drive from apple store have never been in one in my life lol, apple do returns but there is a long wait, can get some today locally but no returns if used.
Hence my asking maybe someone with same issue will know when they get them.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Ive been using the original AirPods with silicone hooks/wings, its the only way for me as they fall out even if I stand still with just slight movement.

I just received my AirPods 3 and same thing happens except for maybe 10% improvement, but still fall out. I can't use them until someone makes Hooks/wings for them......My AirPods 3 are now having a rest :(

Last edited:
Reactions: sonstar

kj80

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021
The original fit me perfectly, and as they are thinner it’s almost as if they lodge in there. Got the 3rd gen today and they feel quite fat so sort of sit but not as comfortably….. kind of sad but might just be that it feels different. They don’t fall out if I shake my head or anything but come out much easier.

sonstar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Sounds like not much difference, guess I will be a one ear AirPods user for awhile yet, glad I didn't buy them.
Most of my use is one anyway, dog walking and at night to sleep.

sonstar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Got a pair off amazon, no difference, right ear is the same stays in, left still falls out. They do sound better though and spacial audio is excellent, I have AirPods max for that anyway.
Shame though as I like them. Will return and wait till my pods 2 die.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Could never use the old style of AirPods and while the 3rd Gen is better I still couldn't do basic things like chew, yawn, drink, etc without them starting to work themselves out.

Buy the new Beats Fit Pros! I love them more than my AirPods Pro.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I am ready to replace my Airpods, original version, but cannot figure out if AP3, APP, or Beats Fit Pros would suit me best without trying them all out. So I am thinking of ordering all three, and returning the two I least like. Any reason I need not do this?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I am ready to replace my Airpods, original version, but cannot figure out if AP3, APP, or Beats Fit Pros would suit me best without trying them all out. So I am thinking of ordering all three, and returning the two I least like. Any reason I need not do this?
Seems unnecessary especially if the original AirPods fit you because you know there won't be any fitment issues. All 3 have different features and have different pricing so you should be able to narrow it down based on what you would use them for...

sonstar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
After more use today the right one is actually worse than v2, comes lose.

sonstar

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Yes I would.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
There is such a thing as an average ear shape and size and all AirPods are designed with those in mind.

This is one of the reasons for the 1st and 2nd Gens very small footprint and neutral design.

But with that in mind, ears are very different from one person to the next on many parameters and there's just no way of knowing if AP3 will fit yours well or not.

The part that sits in your ear on AP3 is, however, much bigger and differently shaped than AP1-AP2.

I really wish Apple or other stores had dummy units for testing as so many end up returning or re-selling second hand because the fit sucks for them.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
APP and Beats Fit Pro are much more likely to fit since they sit and "stick" to your ear inside your ear-canal. A lot of people are annoyed by the silicone tips clogging up their ears, so even if they don't fall out they might not be right for you.

Beats Fit Pro seem to be the most likely to fit since they also make use of ear "hook" that lock into the cartilage of your ear.

AP3 are much different in that they just sit or lay in the outer cartilage of the ear and don't sit inside your ear canal.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I've been pretty lucky where airpods and earpods have never felt loose or fallen out of my ears. However, I've heard reports of the new airpods falling out whereas the old ones stayed in perfectly. I really hope that's not the case because I've never had a fit issue with any of Apple's earbuds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.