Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had my iPhone 6s with Verizon now for almost 2 years now, I'm guessing 2 years because I have only one payment left on the phone. Anyways, **my current 6s is the A1688 model**. The screen has a little crack, sound issues, etc. I found a refurbished 6s on Amazon for a decent price I think.

I ordered it from a 3rd party seller but it was fulfilled by Amazon which helps if you ever run into issues. Anyways, I got it today but it says A1633 on the back. I have no idea about phones not tech savvy, but what is the difference between my current 6s A1688 & the 6s A1633 they sent me incorrectly?

For example when I bought the 6s it said this "Apple iPhone 6S 64 GB Unlocked, Space Grey $349".

Also, the page said it was Fully Compatible with Verizon Wireless as seen in that chart & this one. Now when I go back to the order, when I click on it, it now says Apple iPhone 6S 64GB Space Gray - GSM unlocked. I thought GSM is T-Mobile/AT&T, so I'm confused?

Will this A1633 work on Verizon & will their be any difference with that phone vs my current one? I just wan't to make sure this phone that this new phone will be taking full advantage of the Verizon network.

Also, I just turned the phone on, I can't get passed this:
SIM Required: Please insert a SIM card.

Why can't I just get to the home screen, why am I stuck here? I swear, if I remember correctly, when I got my A1688 model you where able to set up your iPhone with just WiFi, I don't remember seeing any SIM card screen that prevented me from going to the home screen?

Thanks for the help & my apologizes for the long thread I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. Keep it, return it, etc.? By the way, the 6s they sent me has no cosmetic flaws.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Go to this LINK which will explain the different model numbers and which networks they work with. Also, I do believe you need to insert a SIM to set that phone up. I've never been able to set a new iPhone up with WiFi only.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Go to this LINK which will explain the different model numbers and which networks they work with. Also, I do believe you need to insert a SIM to set that phone up. I've never been able to set a new iPhone up with WiFi only.
It is possible, I've done it on my SE and my 6S. But you do need the sim to get the phone activated on a network.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
i put my sim card from my 1688 in the 1633. im able to make phone calls, I'm able to use wifi and LTE. does that mean im all good to go? i won't have any issues with calls, or slower speeds. i shouldn't know any difference between the 1688 and 1633? when i looked up 1688 it says verizon. when i look up 1633 i don't see verizon at all?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
i put my sim card from my 1688 in the 1633. im able to make phone calls, I'm able to use wifi and LTE. does that mean im all good to go? i won't have any issues with calls, or slower speeds. i shouldn't know any difference between the 1688 and 1633? when i looked up 1688 it says verizon. when i look up 1633 i don't see verizon at all?
The A1633 is the version Apple sold as the SIM-Free 6S. It will work totally fine on Verizon as it’s the version that works on the most networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.