Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I have an old 2012 Mac mini that i use as a plex server, I installed a 4tb ssd, and it can only run up to MacOS Catalina10.15.7.

I also use it as a time machine backup server and content server, to cache apple updates.

If my other iMacs are running macOS Ventura and MacOS Monterey, will the content sharing still work?

It seems to be broken, and Im not sure if I should just shut it off.

Infinitatus

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
I have the same mac mini for the same purpuse. I have used opencore legacy patcher to update to MacOS Ventura. I works like a charm and you will be updated with the latest security features.

Last edited:

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
If my other iMacs are running macOS Ventura and MacOS Monterey, will the content sharing still work?

It seems to be broken, and Im not sure if I should just shut it off.
I believe it's intended to work with Monterey and later, but has problems.

I have the same machine used in the same way (running High Sierra, though). I was using it as a content cache server, until I read about some problems with security updates: https://eclecticlight.co/2022/07/08...-content-caching-and-failed-security-updates/. IIRC this problem was with "security files" updates, not OS updates, and they could silently fail to be applied.

So I ended up turning off the service. AFAIK that bug still isn't fixed. A real shame, as it was working really well when my target Macs were on Mojave, and I liked that it could optionally cache iCloud content and iOS app updates, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.