Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonesevenplus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Hello,
I had this thought on my mind since September 7th after they debuted the 7 & 7 Plus. I actually own the 7 plus currently and I just was thinking if apple was discontinued the good ol 4.7 inch display just like they did with the iPhone 4 and the 3.5 and so on. They've added so many features to the Plus: high ram and dual cameras. Just noticing they were promoting the 7 plus in (mostly) every Ad and how the major changes contributing in the plus version.

In addition to, how their competitors have larger displays and higher ram. The 4.7 model might be long gone next September and the plus (5.5) might just be the standard. They might go even bigger like 6.5 or even just 6 inches including the improvements like IP67, even a faster processor (it's already faster than the MacBook Air), where the headphone jack is gone and they replaced with holes with no sound might be another speaker, AMOLED display, and etc.

The 7 might be the biggest phone right now with no design changes (since Apple uses the three-year design cycle) but I can feel like the 8 or whatever they're call it next will be like their biggest phone yet and the Android fanboys will talk mess but want one really bad, especially with LTE Advanced and higher speeds in the mobile industry right now.

Last thought that came to mind, if they could remove the Aluminum and bring back the glass back just like the iPhone 4/4S with the addition of the two black colors we got now or even a Jet White.

This is all my thoughts.. Competition wouldn't be a word. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Setarip

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
I personally don't think they will discontinue the 4.7 inch phone anytime soon. There will always be people who do not like carrying a tablet sized phone around. I do think the 4.7 is the perfect sized phone.

I did just upgrade from a 6 to a 7+, and I am surprised that this thing is very pocketable for me (it probably helps that I am 6'3" tall). I think that apple could squeeze a 5.75 or even 6" display in the current sized phone if they shrunk the bezels a bit. I will add that the bezels do not bother me one bit, but if they could manage it they could produce a larger sized phone without physically making the phone larger. That would be a success.

Reactions: Skika

sr913

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
I'm surprised this forum seems to favor the 7+ over the 7 by what seems to be at least 3:1 margin.

But if Apple introduced a SE with a 4" screen, I doubt they'll junk the 4.7". I have a 5" Samsung Galaxy and actually think it's a hair too big to comfortably pocket and hold, so 4.7" seems to be my sweet spot.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I'm surprised this forum seems to favor the 7+ over the 7 by what seems to be at least 3:1 margin.

But if Apple introduced a SE with a 4" screen, I doubt they'll junk the 4.7". I have a 5" Samsung Galaxy and actually think it's a hair too big to comfortably pocket and hold, so 4.7" seems to be my sweet spot.

I have the 6 Plus and considering buying the 7 because those bezels on the iPhone is huge...

Reactions: duffman9000

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have the 6 Plus and considering buying the 7 because those bezels on the iPhone is huge...

That should change next year when Apple is rumored to ditch the home button. In the meantime, Plus owners are simply putting up with the oversized footprint in favor of the bigger screen and better features. They'll look back and wonder how they've managed to do that.

Reactions: iPhonesevenplus

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I'd say it's highly likely they do, but not in the traditional sense that you're describing.

I think they'll have two phones that are roughly the same size in terms of total footprint as they are now, but the screen sizes of both will increase. Maybe to 5" and 5.9" or 6", because they'll finally get around to decreasing the size of the bezels.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Last thought that came to mind, if they could remove the Aluminum and bring back the glass back just like the iPhone 4/4S with the addition of the two black colors we got now or even a Jet White.

This is the part Apple should do. Steel ring encasing two pieces of glass, like jewel. I consider this the culmination of Apple hardware, now it maybe too heavy to do on a PLUS phone.

Reactions: iPhonesevenplus

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
No way they will, at least not the overall size of the phones, regardless of bezels. There are a lot of people that regard the larger + sized phones as simply way too big.

iPhonesevenplus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
If Apple were to ditch the 4.7", I'd ditch Apple.

The 5.5" is simply too big for me.

---
I stopped reading your post after the 4.7" mention. You need to learn to put some paragraphs in your post.
Can you edit posts? I just joined lol...

iPhonesevenplus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
I'd say it's highly likely they do, but not in the traditional sense that you're describing.

I think they'll have two phones that are roughly the same size in terms of total footprint as they are now, but the screen sizes of both will increase. Maybe to 5" and 5.9" or 6", because they'll finally get around to decreasing the size of the bezels.
And also, the sales of the plus are remarkable. I just feel like because of just that reason, Tim will want to increase.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Hello,
I had this thought on my mind since September 7th after they debuted the 7 & 7 Plus. I actually own the 7 plus currently and I just was thinking if apple was discontinued the good ol 4.7 inch display just like they did with the iPhone 4 and the 3.5 and so on. They've added so many features to the Plus: high ram and dual cameras. Just noticing they were promoting the 7 plus in (mostly) every Ad and how the major changes contributing in the plus version.

In addition to, how their competitors have larger displays and higher ram. The 4.7 model might be long gone next September and the plus (5.5) might just be the standard. They might go even bigger like 6.5 or even just 6 inches including the improvements like IP67, even a faster processor (it's already faster than the MacBook Air), where the headphone jack is gone and they replaced with holes with no sound might be another speaker, AMOLED display, and etc.

The 7 might be the biggest phone right now with no design changes (since Apple uses the three-year design cycle) but I can feel like the 8 or whatever they're call it next will be like their biggest phone yet and the Android fanboys will talk mess but want one really bad, especially with LTE Advanced and higher speeds in the mobile industry right now.

This is all my thoughts.. Competition wouldn't be a word. :rolleyes:

#1. Apple has a Patent to use any part of the display as the finger print sensor.
#2. The Galaxy S7 is the same size as the iPhone 7 and has a bigger display.
#3. My guess is Apple justified killing the 4.7 Form Factor for Better Design and offers
A 5.0" Size and a 5.7" Size OLED display they already bought the OLEDs from Samsung for the iPhone 8
Please keep in Mind the Note 5 has a 5.7" Display 1440p OLED and is thinner and smaller than the 5.5" 1080p display on the iPhone 7 Plus which is taller wider and bigger than a Note 5
How ? The Home Button requires too much Space. And IPS LCDs that Apple uses can't get Any thinner. So they. Are switching to OLED.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
4.7" will be around for at least another 2 years. But I can see with the iPhone 8 apple shrinking the bezels and offering a 5" iPhone and 6" iPhone that are the same sizes as the current models. Then you would have a 4" iPhone, 5"iPhone, and 6" iPhone models to choose from.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Lose the bezels (and have almost edge-to-edge display with a small border) and the home button gone...while they keep the 4.7" display, and you'd arrive at my ideal phone.

One-hand ability is big for me...practically a must-have.

If they go to a 5" display once everything is shrunk down, that might work. Even at 5"...that would probably be the largest screen for many people; simply look at your thumb and the screen height.

Setarip

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
This is the part Apple should do. Steel ring encasing two pieces of glass, like jewel. I consider this the culmination of Apple hardware, now it maybe too heavy to do on a PLUS phone.

I did like my iPhone 4, but I DO NOT miss the glass front and back. The way the glass was exposed above the steel ring made the phone extremely prone to cracking when dropped. In fact as much as everyone says that the iPhone 4 was Apples "best" (a bit subjective) design, it's the iPhone I had the most parts break on.

On my iPhone 4 the home button broke after about 8 months of use. The power button broke after 13 months (I had to use a app as a power button after I jail broke it). The screen broke after just one drop!!! I babied that phone and it was the most fragile, piece of garbage out of all the iPhones I had.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
People are talking about "removing home button" back and forth but they are actually not thinking about the practical consequences of doing so. It is inevitable that home button needs to be in a place specially designed for it so the user knows where to touch or press. If you put the home button on the screen you would have something that points you to the button so you know where it is. However, this will destroy the entire visual experience of the display.

Reactions: Setarip

Setarip

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
People are talking about "removing home button" back and forth but they are actually not thinking about the practical consequences of doing so. It is inevitable that home button needs to be in a place specially designed for it so the user knows where to touch or press. If you put the home button on the screen you would have something that points you to the button so you know where it is. However, this will destroy the entire visual experience of the display.

I don't think the home button will ever go away. They could keep the button the same size and still shrink the top and bottom bezel if they wanted to.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Well, I know the vast majority of people on this forum as well as a majority of preorders this year were Plus folks, but I imagine close to half (if not more) of eventual iPhone 7 adopters will opt for the non-Plus version. I doubt Apple wants to ostracize such a significant portion of their customers. No offense, OP, but I think you might be spending a little too much time on this forum and reading tech news (hey - I'm guilty of it too :)).

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
They could update the screen size to about 5" without making the phone physically larger by more than a few mm, still keeping it very easy to handle with one hand. The current iPhone design has absolutely huge bezels and the 7+ is even worse. The home button is also huge compared to the more rectangular ones you see on Android phones and that adds to the size too. To give you an idea, the Samsung Galaxy S4 from 2013 is only 2mm wider than the iPhone 7 and is actually 2mm less tall but still packs a 5" 1080p display.

I really want them to significantly improve the design because it is one of the things keeping me from buying an iPhone. Getting rid of the bezels and home button would be a step in the right direction.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
if Apple can fit 4.7" screen into iPhone 5s/SE form factor and 5.5" screen into regular 4.7 iPhone, then I will say that 4.0" screens might be gone, not 4.7 or 5.5.

The big bezel and crappy comfort/grip keep me away from iPhone Plus size, but if that changes next year, I will be all over the bigger size iPhone.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I think what most people are forgeting when talking about shrinking bezels is that there are actual components behind them that need place. So shrinking the bezels would mean major sacrifices in battery size and such. They opted to remove the audio jack to save space this year and feature more stuff and that is only a small percentage of what the shrinking of bezels would loose in terms of space.

Reactions: Setarip
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.