Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Apple will eliminate the notch in 2019?

• Total voters

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The notch will get bigger. It’s the latest in high tech, and Apple will capitalize on it big time.

Eventually the screen will be fully replaced by the notch, leaving only a small space at the bottom of the phone for that relatively ancient technology we call a display.

LOL! I needed a good laugh.

On a serious, the notch doesn’t bother me.

I would imagine if there is a demand for a smaller notch, Apple would consider it and maybe even remove it one day.

How soon or fast, if ever, is anyone’s guess.

Reactions: flyinmac

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i won't upgrade to any of the new models launching September 2018.
i will wait until September 2019.
number 1 reason: notch.
if its still there next year i will need to upgrade, but reluctantly.

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I sincerely hope so. Not buying a new iPhone until they remove the notch.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I can’t think of another feature Apple have released that is as divisive as the notch. It’s certainly a Marmite aesthetic that you either love or hate lol. Personally I could live with it and it wouldn’t put me off buying an iPhone that had it, but the designer in me does think it looks more like a compromise to house the current technology rather than an appealing aesthetic.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, I think the notch will be in place for while. If you think about it, the 2019 iPhones are likely already being developed right now or in the process of the engineering state. Once the technology has the chance to actually mature where components can be reduced or be implemented differently, perhaps the notch will dissipate. But for now, there is no reason to believe it’s not going to be here for the iPhone for the next iPhone beyond 2018.

Reactions: profets

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
The notch will get bigger. It’s the latest in high tech, and Apple will capitalize on it big time.

Eventually the screen will be fully replaced by the notch, leaving only a small space at the bottom of the phone for that relatively ancient technology we call a display.
So what new features will that giant notch have?

Suspended
Aug 15, 2018
It's not going anywhere for a long time. The technology isn't there yet to hide everything in it behind the screen, and it also is something to make iPhones stand out from all the other similar devices out there now.

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
57219590-7559-4331-A2CD-800415F783EB.png
Features??? Who needs features??? It’s the notch. What more do you need? Oooohhhh. Pretty. Must have notch.
So you’re picturing something like this almost?

PennyThought

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2018
I can't answer the question of the notch...I do know that I don't like it.

But whether or not I buy a phone this year depends on other more important features. But all the rumors and leaks so far indicates no new phone this year for me.

And that's fine really...my 6s on ios 9 works wonderfully (aside from my Youtube app).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.