Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSpaceJam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
'Merica
I've used iOS since the iPhone 4, and have strayed every so often due to Apple's lack of customization, before quickly returning back to iOS due to their amazing build quality, eco system, customer service, and overall software stability.

I am wondering if they will ever give users full customization such as being able to change your font system wide, the ability to change the look/size of icons, etc. I know this is all achievable with a JB, which I have been doing for years now. I am just wondering if Apple will ever have a device that is capable of the before mentioned customizations out of the box without having to JB.

iSpaceJam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
'Merica
It sounds nice in theory, but in reality, I'm not even sure I want more control.

I feel that the reason people like iPhones is the exact reason iOS and apps are more stable (IMO). If Apple made something akin to Android, then people will complain about what are currently Apple's/iOS' strengths.

I totally agree with this but I was thinking of something along the lines of how they did with the Keyboard customization where those who want to partake can and those who chose not to don't have to. Perhaps, a way they could achieve this could be just Apple making their own fonts kind of like how Blackberry had on their devices back in the day and just having the option on the phone out of the box for those that want the iOS stability/ experience along with a touch of customization.
[doublepost=1492575675][/doublepost]
"Full control" Will never happen. This is Apple we are referring to, which stability is key for iOS. It's a nice thought though.

I agree, I am def hopeful though since it seems that competition seems to be pretty intense these days so hopefully it gets them thinking more outside of the box.

Reactions: 44267547

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Full control?
That's a good joke, they only way you can gain full control of your idevice is if you jailbreak.
And the future of jailbreaking iphones and the iOS does not look too bright.

If I wasn't so invested in the Apple ecosystem and Android had a good counterpart to AirVideo HD, I might try another Android phone.

iSpaceJam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
'Merica
Full control?
That's a good joke, the only way you can gain full control of your idevice is if you jailbreak.
And the future of jailbreaking iphones and the iOS does not look too bright.

Sorry the wording was wrong not absolute full control just minor things like changing the font system wide or maybe changing the way apps are. I'm not saying for it to be mandatory just how they have the custom keyboards where you can use the option if you want, or you don't have to if you don't want to customize. It's nice to have options.

iSpaceJam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
'Merica
If I wasn't so invested in the Apple ecosystem and Android had a good counterpart to AirVideo HD, I might try another Android phone.

That's the same boat I'm in. I'm so deep in the Ecosystem and so used to the fluidity I don't think I'd want to leave Apple completely.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
I've used iOS since the iPhone 4, and have strayed every so often due to Apple's lack of customization, before quickly returning back to iOS due to their amazing build quality, eco system, customer service, and overall software stability.

I am wondering if they will ever give users full customization such as being able to change your font system wide, the ability to change the look/size of icons, etc. I know this is all achievable with a JB, which I have been doing for years now. I am just wondering if Apple will ever have a device that is capable of the before mentioned customizations out of the box without having to JB.

One thing I've learned over the years when using Apple products, is Apple knows best when it comes to GUI design and configuration. Also imo NO WAY IN HELL they will allow unauth apps to run on their products, ever! It's just the order of things when it comes to Apple.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I guess what you want is full control over customization, rather than having full access of your iOS. I would agree with that but guess what, I now rarely do any customization even on android phone except changing wallpaper and ringtone.

iSpaceJam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
'Merica
I guess what you want is full control over customization, rather than having full access of your iOS. I would agree with that but guess what, I now rarely do any customization even on android phone except changing wallpaper and ringtone.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say lol. Sorry it's been a long day, but I'm glad you were able to understand what I was trying to say haha.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

IMO, a big part of that software stability is down to the fact that Apple are restrictive in what they do/don't allow you to "customise".

The hardware is top notch, the software is top notch and works seamlessly with said hardware, why allow people to tinker and make things less reliable?

Then, customer service satisfaction levels go down, because folks are unhappy with their customised iPhone.

For me, it works really well and is probably the most important piece of hardware in my day to day life.

I use it for business as well as personal and can't afford for it to slow me down or be out of action in any way and that's why I love the iPhone-it's bullet proof.
[doublepost=1492586740][/doublepost]
If Apple would give me a five-column springboard and dock, and let me turn off all animations, I'd be happy. But that'll never happen.
Because then you'd want something else designed to your liking! :D
[doublepost=1492587060][/doublepost]
O/T, but that looks like a really nice app, so thanks for mentioning it. :)

Last edited:

iSpaceJam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2017
'Merica
IMO, a big part of that software stability is down to the fact that Apple are restrictive in what they do/don't allow you to "customise".

The hardware os top notch, the software is top notch and works seamlessly with said hardware, why allow people to tinker and make things less reliable?

Then, customer service satisfaction levels go down, because folks are unhappy with their customised iPhone.

For me, it works really well and is probably the most important piece of hardware in my day to day life.

I use it for business as well as personal and can't afford for it to slow me down or be out of action in any way and that's why I love the iPhone-it's bullet proof.
[doublepost=1492586740][/doublepost]
Because then you'd want something else designed to your liking! :D

I totally understand and agree with a lot of what you're saying. I'm not saying for them to force anything on to anyone, but more so adding the feature(s) in their app store like they've managed to do with the custom keyboards. I know some people who live for the custom keyboards, while others don't even know that's an option. I like the idea of there being options for people who might want minor customization vs those who are content with stock. I remember even my good old blackberry curve had the option to choose between their 5 or so fonts that they allowed without having to jailbreak or anything and that was one solid device. Is it possible? I believe it is. Will Apple do it? Like many others have already said, highly doubt it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry the wording was wrong not absolute full control just minor things like changing the font system wide or maybe changing the way apps are. I'm not saying for it to be mandatory just how they have the custom keyboards where you can use the option if you want, or you don't have to if you don't want to customize. It's nice to have options.

I hear you, even those minor things are not allowed by Apple.
I would like to see them eventually open up and offer some more options and customization by the end user.

Reactions: iSpaceJam

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
No because it would get in the way of Apple making more money otherwise. If anyone can easily drag and drop their movies or music without iTunes and share anything over Bluetooth with any other phones, then they would less likely use Apple services like iCloud or purchase from iTunes store. That's the way I see it. Though you can argue otherwise with Google who allow more freedom and sell services too.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Every time I've seen a jailbroken iPhone with different fonts, I've wanted to vomit from how ugly it looks.

Apple is doing us a favor. :)

The one place where I'd love a bit more control in iOS is in letting third party apps have the same abilities as Apple's built in apps. For example, third party navigation apps should be able to take over the lock screen like Apple Maps can. Third party alarm apps should be able to do their thing in the background and not have to be left running with the screen unlocked. Third party E-mail clients should be able to check mail in the background without requiring messy push notification hacks.

This has always been the #1 thing that has annoyed me about iOS, however it doesn't annoy me enough to keep me off the platform.

Reactions: Digger148

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I know, but there was a time where people didn't think Apple would ever have larger iPhones or even a customizable keyboard so I don't think the question is too out of this world.
Apple is not going to open up a sea of confusion for the technologically illiterate. They cater to average users, not uber nerds who need/want to customize everything.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Every time I've seen a jailbroken iPhone with different fonts, I've wanted to vomit from how ugly it looks.
I suspect that is because most people who jailbreak and change the fonts are essentially clueless about fonts themselves. As a Graphic Designer by trade I deal with fonts every day and have seen some truly hideous uses of them on jailbroken phones.

When you can't read what's on the screen then it's pretty pointless.

But not every one who jailbreaks and changes fonts goes off the deep end.

Open Sans Light…

Attachments

• 2017-04-21 07.31.36.png
    2017-04-21 07.31.36.png
    175 KB · Views: 189
  • 2017-04-21 07.32.19.png
    2017-04-21 07.32.19.png
    467.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 2017-04-21 07.33.26.png
    2017-04-21 07.33.26.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 2017-04-21 07.31.13.png
    2017-04-21 07.31.13.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Apple is doing us a favor. :)

The one place where I'd love a bit more control in iOS is in letting third party apps have the same abilities as Apple's built in apps. For example, third party navigation apps should be able to take over the lock screen like Apple Maps can. Third party alarm apps should be able to do their thing in the background and not have to be left running with the screen unlocked. Third party E-mail clients should be able to check mail in the background without requiring messy push notification hacks.

This has always been the #1 thing that has annoyed me about iOS, however it doesn't annoy me enough to keep me off the platform.

I agree, but that's a personal choice.
If their choices are ugly or weird looking then that's on them.
But at least give consumers the option if they so choose to change the way their phone looks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.