Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucian Hodoboc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Eastern-Europe
Do you think that Apple will ever make laptops with a screen larger than 15 inches in the future? They used to have a line of 17-inch screen MacBooks some years back, and I don't really know why they stopped making large laptops. o_O

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is also being discussed in this thread currently for your reference:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/waiting-for-the-2019-mbp.2127125/page-31

I think consensus is that they will not, Apple seem to focus on 13” portables and for larger screens they would seemingly want you to go desktop (they do also offer the 15” pro but it is remarkably difficult to justify the cost of the current machines unless you must have a Mac laptop with a dGPU for your work imo)

Reactions: Queen6

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Samsung are rumoured to be working on a laptop with a folding screen (an extension of the tech in the folding screen phone expected soon). A folding screen could mean a very big screen without a big form factor, or even new configurations. It could change things massively.

Reactions: Falhófnir

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, they killed off the 17" for a reason, and its my belief that those reasons were financial. I don't think the market has changed since they did kill off the 17" that would tempt Apple to invest in a 17" laptop again. People seem to choose a 13" for mobility, and the 15" as a desktop replacement and mobility. The 17" is just too much money and isn't very mobile.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Ever?

Yes, I think that's possible.
I could potentially see them eventually moving to rounded corner, 'bezelless' (or minimum bezel) displays, as they've done for iPhone and iPad which might mean (something like) 14 and 16 inch models in similar footprints. Equally they might just keep to 13.3 and 15.4 but chop the corners off :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.