Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Hey Guys!

Did a jailbreak of my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Worked great for days. Kept adding more tweaks.

I finally managed to brick the device. There is an Apple logo stuck on the screen. On the phone with Apple support and we tried all the forced reboot options as well as trying to connect to iTunes on laptop. Nothing worked.

They are replacing the phone. Sending me a new one.

Here is the rub...

When they get it back will they discover it has been jailbroken and void my replacement warranty?

I am guessing no because I think they are going to have to erase the data to access it. I also removed the phone from my account which supposedly also erases the data (however I am not certain).

Just wondering how big the risk is that I am going to get a call from Apple saying I have to pay for the replacement phone.

Thanks in advance

jeevestobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
It's impossible to completely brick a device with this jailbreak (or any other recent jailbreak for that matter). Try putting it into DFU mode if you still have it:

There's also zero chance they will care about whether it's jailbroken, they'll just restore it the same way you can if it's still in your possession.

Reactions: NJRonbo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I was able to actually restore my iPhone today.

I knew about the volume up, down, and side press to force reboot but that did not work.

What finally did? I downloaded a piece of software called REIBOOT. The free version actually forced my phone into restore mode. It was pretty amazing as I was on the phone with Apple Support for 30 minutes and we had tried everything.

Thank you for the information, though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey Guys!

Did a jailbreak of my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Worked great for days. Kept adding more tweaks.

I finally managed to brick the device. There is an Apple logo stuck on the screen. On the phone with Apple support and we tried all the forced reboot options as well as trying to connect to iTunes on laptop. Nothing worked.

They are replacing the phone. Sending me a new one.

Here is the rub...

When they get it back will they discover it has been jailbroken and void my replacement warranty?

I am guessing no because I think they are going to have to erase the data to access it. I also removed the phone from my account which supposedly also erases the data (however I am not certain).

Just wondering how big the risk is that I am going to get a call from Apple saying I have to pay for the replacement phone.

Thanks in advance
You didn't brick your device. That's such an overused word.

Brick means dead, completely unresponsive and NO POWER. You had an Apple logo on your screen, the device was stuck in a bootloop. That's not a brick.

In any case, Apple claims that jailbreaking voids warranty. So what.

A few things.

• Their actual in store policy changed sometime in early 2015. They really don't care and the most they will ask you do to is restore your device.

• They are not waiting with a large hammer to nail their customers who send in phones that were jailbroken. They have neither the time nor the inclination to figure all that out and go after you.

• Any phone given to them is wiped. This is why they tell you to backup before they do service. Because wiping the phone is one of the first things they do.

• Finally, if this still stresses you out do what at lot of jailbreakers do before getting service - restore the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.