Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple get rid of the headphone jack on the next iPhone SE?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Only in case of major redesign

Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters

The Weatherman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
I am planning to replace my iPhone 5 with an iPhone SE and I'm considering waiting for the next update coming reportedly in early 2018. I have no use of a larger screen but I do need a headphone jack to plug my pair of headphones. If the new model wouldn't have it then I'd just take the current gen instead.

So, do you guys think Apple will remove the headphone jack on the next iPhone SE or keep the current design?

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Why not use the very small adapter provided for free and continue to use your headphones, all while enjoying a much more updated phone? (Providing Apple actually does release a new SE and also removed the jack form it)

The tiny adapter isn’t as combersome as people around here would lead you to believe. Leave it on the headphone wire and it only “extends” the wire lendth by 1-2 inches.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
There’s really no telling. Since we don’t know the reason for dumping it in the first place. They said that space inside the phone is a premium and they simply don’t have room for an aging technology anymore. If that is the case there is presumably less room in a smaller phone. So, if they add 3D Touch and keep the home button possibly they ditch it..? Idk. If they refresh the SE at all since they are still selling 7’s, 8’s, and X’s.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I highly doubt the SE will be refreshed. I bet it was more of a one time model to give some customers more time to get used to large screened phones.

This. It was called a special edition for a reason. Not to mention, that Kuo dude predicted all iPhones in 2018 will have FaceID, indicating the SE won’t be refreshed next year.

Reactions: DMVillain

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
It’s likely, but since the SE was intended for less privileged countries, that may justify leaving the jack on any potential SE2. Especially if it comes in 2018. Apple may just force those customers to use the included adapter.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I think Apple will keep the headphone jack in an updated SE just to throw some of us a bone. Again that is dependent on if they refresh that line.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think Apple will keep the headphone jack in an updated SE just to throw some of us a bone. Again that is dependent on if they refresh that line.

I don't think they will. Apple would be contradictory to retain the headphone jack on an iPhone model if it's re-introduced and they would rather have uniformity across the whole iPhone line up. Especially given the AirPods to continue to sell with the 3.5 Jack being deleted.

Reactions: nrvna76

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I don't think they will. Apple would be contradictory to retain the headphone jack on an iPhone model if it's re-introduced and they would rather have uniformity across the whole iPhone line up. Especially given the AirPods to continue to sell with the 3.5 Jack being deleted.
That’s what I would have thought of five years ago but today ? I wouldn’t bet on it.

Apple have completely lost their uniformity, their line up is a mess right now :

-For some reason every iPads they offer still have a headphone jack while the newer iPhones doesn’t.
-Every MacBooks still have a headphone jack too even though some have gone full USB-C (which can replace the headphone jack by the way).
-Also don’t forget the newer iMacs that still have USB-A and SD card slot even though they also have USB-C (which again can replace both of these older ports).
-Let’s not forget the mess of their color choices too with a missing rose gold on the iPad Pro 12.9 versus the 10.5, a missing gold color on the iPhone X versus the iPhone 8 and 50 freaking shades of space grey across devices.

So yeah, needless to say that Apple have been unpredictable these days...

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This. It was called a special edition for a reason. Not to mention, that Kuo dude predicted all iPhones in 2018 will have FaceID, indicating the SE won’t be refreshed next year.

Yep there won't be a new iPhone SE.

iOS 11 is the biggest hint. It doesn't work well on such a tiny display.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Agreed. Based on Kuo’s comment, the best chance for a new smaller phone will be a smaller X to accompany the 2018 X Plus.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Even if there is an upgraded iPhone SE, it will still have a headphone jack. It will be thick enough since technology won't fit if not.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I think Apple may keep the SE around a bit longer but it will recieve only minor updates. The current SE already runs ios 11 from what I read. I expect a spec bump on the processor and perhaps a better screen.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Why not use the very small adapter provided for free and continue to use your headphones, all while enjoying a much more updated phone? (Providing Apple actually does release a new SE and also removed the jack form it)

The tiny adapter isn’t as combersome as people around here would lead you to believe. Leave it on the headphone wire and it only “extends” the wire lendth by 1-2 inches.

It's one more thing to carry everywhere. I have 20 pairs of headphones from cheap to high end that already work with my other devices. People that defend apple's choice here clearly are blinded by fanboyism. I have an iPhone X and love the phone, but still am completely annoyed by Apple's choice on a regular basis.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It's one more thing to carry everywhere. I have 20 pairs of headphones from cheap to high end that already work with my other devices. People that defend apple's choice here clearly are blinded by fanboyism. I have an iPhone X and love the phone, but still am completely annoyed by Apple's choice on a regular basis.
Just FYI, you’re replying to a permanently suspended user.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I am planning to replace my iPhone 5 with an iPhone SE and I'm considering waiting for the next update coming reportedly in early 2018. I have no use of a larger screen but I do need a headphone jack to plug my pair of headphones. If the new model wouldn't have it then I'd just take the current gen instead.

So, do you guys think Apple will remove the headphone jack on the next iPhone SE or keep the current design?

Might as well ask us if aliens have 3 toes or 2... We do not work for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.