Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SheerGold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I have not heard any rumours about Apples plans for their planned Intel G5's.

It would be a good move if they made them able to run Windows (without having to use Virtual PC).

Anyone heard anything of what they are planning?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The upcoming 'Mac Pro' (the PowerMac G5 replacement) will include intel processors, and therefore, will be able to run Windows through BootCamp just like any other intel Mac (only better).

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
When the replacement PowerMacs (or whatever they get re-branded as), Apple will definitely base them on EFI motherboards, the same firmware standard as in the iMac and MacBooks. Boot Camp as I understand it works on any Mac with EFI, so the answer is pretty much going to be a Yes.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Just so you know, there's actually no such thing as an Intel G5.The G5 is the name of the PowerPC processor used in the iMacs and PowerMacs. I know you were referring to the PowerMac, but it might save you some confusion in the future. :)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
yeah, what do you mean by Intel G5's? if you mean PowerPC G5's, then no, i doubt Apple will be want (or care) to dual boot them to Windows.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
NewSc2 said:
yeah, what do you mean by Intel G5's? if you mean PowerPC G5's, then no, i doubt Apple will be want (or care) to dual boot them to Windows.

No one is really clear what it will be called. So i think just for now people are calling them Intel G5's.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'd say what he meant by G5 is the G5 PowerMac. Just calling it a G5 is not really correct and can cause confusion because the G5 chip was also in the iMacs. So, instead of saying Intel G5, the term Intel PowerMac (possibly the Mac Pro) should be used. :)

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
^squirrel^ said:
No one is really clear what it will be called. So i think just for now people are calling them Intel G5's.

Apples pro desktop is called PowerMac. The current version is called PowerMac G5 because it's powered by a PPC G5 chip, as opposed to the PowerMac G4, which was powered by a PPC G4 chip, and the PowerMac G3, powered by a PPC G3 chip.
Thus, as others have mentioned above, it's completely wrong to call the Intel pro desktops G5's, simply because they won't be powered by G5s, but Intel chips. Call them Intel PowerMacs, or Mac pro, or something like that to avoid confusion.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
max_altitude said:
Just so you know, there's actually no such thing as an Intel G5.The G5 is the name of the PowerPC processor used in the iMacs and PowerMacs. I know you were referring to the PowerMac, but it might save you some confusion in the future. :)
Actually, the processor is a member of the PowerPC 970 family manufactured by IBM. Apple Computer uses this family of processors in its 5th generation Power Mac desktops, hence G5. The moniker G5 is used only in connection with Apple computers.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
NJuul said:
Apples pro desktop is called PowerMac. The current version is called PowerMac G5 because it's powered by a PPC G5 chip, as opposed to the PowerMac G4, which was powered by a PPC G4 chip, and the PowerMac G3, powered by a PPC G3 chip.
Thus, as others have mentioned above, it's completely wrong to call the Intel pro desktops G5's, simply because they won't be powered by G5s, but Intel chips. Call them Intel PowerMacs, or Mac pro, or something like that to avoid confusion.

Actually, if we want to get really technical, there is no such thing as G3, G4, or G5 those are just Apple marketing names.

They're really PowerPC 7xx, 7xxx, and 9xx

Preceeded by PowerPC 601, 603x/604x... which would have been "G1" and "G2" had apple called them that.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
^squirrel^ said:
not true. apple has put a patent on the Name "Mac Pro" for the upcoming powermac replacements

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
dpaanlka said:
Actually, if we want to get really technical, there is no such thing as G3, G4, or G5 those are just Apple marketing names.

They're really PowerPC 7xx, 7xxx, and 9xx

Preceeded by PowerPC 601, 603x/604x... which would have been "G1" and "G2" had apple called them that.

What's your point?
As said by MisterMe, G3-G5 was Apples way of refering to the 3rd, 4th & 5th generation of the Motorola/Freescale/IBM PPC processors. Like Intels CoreDuo Txxxx. Except that CoreDuo in this case is Intels way of marketing the processors.
Anyway, we don't want to get technical, I was simply making a point of why it is wrong to call the next PowerMacs (or whatever) Intel G5.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
NJuul said:
What's your point?

My point being that you've all already beaten the original poster's question to death when you start explaining what a G3 is. My post was a half-sarcastic post.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
dpaanlka said:
My point being that you've all already beaten the original poster's question to death when you start explaining what a G3 is. My post was a half-sarcastic post.

Ohh.. Sorry... :eek:

Guess you are right, so let's leave it there.
As long as we all agree not to call them Intel G5's! ;)

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Yes, the new MacPro will be able to run windows. The next version of OSX (Leopard) will have this option built in. ;)

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
macg4 said:
not true. apple has put a patent on the Name "Mac Pro" for the upcoming powermac replacements

A copyright, you mean?;)

Well, it's not quite clear that that is the name for the Powermac replacement, as the copyright file just says that it's a computer. Plus, Apple might have copyrighted this name just to through people like us off.

IMO, it will be called Mac Pro. I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.