Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've been under the assumption that any purchases made through iTunes would go under iTunes credit if I had iTunes credit available to use.

It's been done for the past couple of years when I used iTunes credit for my iTunes Match subscription, and lately I've been billed for my iCloud 20GB subscription under my credit card. Now, I've gotta a couple of iTunes Gift Card deals.. that I'd like to use every now & then. But, I wonder will Apple Music be paid using my credit card or iTunes credit. I'll probably wait until the 30th to find out.

brianrmurray

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I had this same question and chatted with an Apple Rep about it. He confirmed that all iCloud billing and Music subscription would be first taken from your iTunes credit (gift cards) THEN after that is exhausted it charges your credit card. I can confirm this works, I've been doing it for months now. It's a really great idea to grab up the iTunes gift cards when they're on sale cause then it's like getting your Music and iCloud billing on sale!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can confirm this works, I've been doing it for months now.

Well, for some reason the iCloud billing is charging to my card... I have iTunes credit, but for some odd reason I was charged. They even sent me an email stating that my card was charged. Maybe I need to contact Apple..

brianrmurray

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Well, for some reason the iCloud billing is charging to my card... I have iTunes credit, but for some odd reason I was charged. They even sent me an email stating that my card was charged. Maybe I need to contact Apple..

Yeah I would chat with them online. Here's my email to confirm its going to my store credit

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 238

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can confirm this works

I figured out why iCloud storage is billed to my card instead of the iTunes credit that I have... Which is due to having two different Apple ID. One for my iCloud & one for iTunes purchases. I have iTunes credit under my iTunes Apple ID, which is pretty good.. since Apple Music is under my iTunes Apple ID. But I wish that somehow those two can be combined somehow.

brianrmurray

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I figured out why iCloud storage is billed to my card instead of the iTunes credit that I have... Which is due to having two different Apple ID. One for my iCloud & one for iTunes purchases. I have iTunes credit under my iTunes Apple ID, which is pretty good.. since Apple Music is under my iTunes Apple ID. But I wish that somehow those two can be combined somehow.

Yeah having two different Apple IDs is not good at all, migrate everything to the one with the most purchases ASAP and neve use the other ever again. Avoid it like the plague!

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
I just started a thread on this topic. Apple charged both my debit card and took $14.99 from my iTunes Balance as well. The iTunes balance was on my old account which all my app purchases have been on (long before iCloud was even a thing) and my Apple Music is on my newer iCloud account I use for everything else. I don't understand why it would take away from both. I could see one or the other but why both?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
I just started a thread on this topic. Apple charged both my debit card and took $14.99 from my iTunes Balance as well. The iTunes balance was on my old account which all my app purchases have been on (long before iCloud was even a thing) and my Apple Music is on my newer iCloud account I use for everything else. I don't understand why it would take away from both. I could see one or the other but why both?

Perhaps.. You signed up on both Apple ID's. I was relieved yesterday that Apple Music was indeed billed to my iTunes Credit since I signed up under my iTunes Apple ID.

I signed up for the Family Plan & it took awhile to figure how to set it up... I have 5 people under it. Eventually everything went accordingly... They enjoy being able to listen to whatever. But yeah, make sure that under your iCloud Apple ID that their isn't a subscription under it.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Perhaps.. You signed up on both Apple ID's. I was relieved yesterday that Apple Music was indeed billed to my iTunes Credit since I signed up under my iTunes Apple ID.

I signed up for the Family Plan & it took awhile to figure how to set it up... I have 5 people under it. Eventually everything went accordingly... They enjoy being able to listen to whatever. But yeah, make sure that under your iCloud Apple ID that their isn't a subscription under it.

I only signed up under my original iTunes account. My iCloud is separate and wasn't used for Apple Music. The iTunes gift card was applied to my iTunes account. Still charged on my iTunes/AppStore account's debit card and the gift card sadly.

EDIT: I'm the "god account" for Family Sharing and that account is my original iTunes account, not my iCloud. Just strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.