Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
FYI, I started a poll in the iPad forum.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I’m going to guess 2021 WWDC... one more thing.. ipadOS15. They attach a magic keyboard and the Mac menu bar pops up at the top. iOS, iPad OS and MacOS are now AppleOS. Experiences that transform with the device.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I’m going to guess 2021 WWDC... one more thing.. ipadOS15. They attach a magic keyboard and the Mac menu bar pops up at the top. iOS, iPad OS and MacOS are now AppleOS. Experiences that transform with the device.
I could see this happening (seems like this is the road they are ultimately wanting to take), but not in 2021.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I'd say a Microsoft Surface Studio imitation, only with the hardware behind the display rather than the base.

3022998-a.jpg

Several signs point to this. About 2 years ago, Apple patented a new display stand that had the appearance of the current iMac version, albeit with a hinge at the intersect between the base and the vertical portion, which would allow the screen to either be positioned vertically or flush on desk.

Second, we've had the recent rumour about Apple releasing a Mac with an iPad-like design.

Third, just look at macOS Big Sur. Let's not kid ourselves - the U.I is designed for touch input. There was no other reason for Apple to take a seasoned and well-liked U.I design, and switch it up with something akin to iOS. The fact that macOS can now run on ARM and can launch iOS apps has little affect on the rest of the U.I.

Will it be part of the iMac line? I doubt it. Apple is moving from products with the 'i' prefix, and when you also take into account that the core functionality of this (prospective) device differs dramatically to an iMac, I can see it being an all new product line that will be the successor to iMac.

zmemes

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Cleveland, OH
I feel like this is where everything is going. You can see the evolution of how iPadOS and MacOS have been sort of converging with the past few years (I think particularly since they split iOS and iPadOS). I think they'll position the iPad Pro as a Surface competitor in the future and bridging the gap. Although, I don't know what this means for the future of the MacBook Air.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I feel like this is where everything is going. You can see the evolution of how iPadOS and MacOS have been sort of converging with the past few years (I think particularly since they split iOS and iPadOS). I think they'll position the iPad Pro as a Surface competitor in the future and bridging the gap. Although, I don't know what this means for the future of the MacBook Air.

A 12.9” “MacBook Surface” would essentially replace the Air and possibly even the low-end Pro, though I think Apple will replace that with a 14” model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.