Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Dear friends,
after roughly one year of using my 13 Pro Max naked with only a screen protector, a weird fall managed to damage my screen.

It fell almost vertical on the bottom right corner and the screen slightly chipped there and propagated energy into an oblique hairline crack to the opposite upper left corner.

Phone works but cannot put a protective glass on it anymore without it forming a "bubble" over the crack.

I have Applecare+ active, but reading it I fear Apple could regard the damage only as cosmetic and refrain from changing the phone.

Any experiences or advice to share?

Thanks a lot

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Dear friends,
after roughly one year of using my 13 Pro Max naked with only a screen protector, a weird fall managed to damage my screen.

It fell almost vertical on the bottom right corner and the screen slightly chipped there and propagated energy into an oblique hairline crack to the opposite upper left corner.

Phone works but cannot put a protective glass on it anymore without it forming a "bubble" over the crack.

I have Applecare+ active, but reading it I fear Apple could regard the damage only as cosmetic and refrain from changing the phone.

Any experiences or advice to share?

Thanks a lot
How much is the repair estimate to restore it back to the condition before the "wierd fall", compared to replacing it with a new 13 Pro Max?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Assuming you are in the US and that you have AC+ (you mentioned you did) a screen replacement will cost you $29.

The screen will be replaced. There's no 'repair' for cracks and such. And cracks are not cosmetic damage.

If you live outside the US, you'll need to look AC+ cost up. Just do a Google search for iPhone Screen Replacement. The first site to come up should be Apple's and it should be specific to your country.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
And today Apple gave me a NEW iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB to "repair" mine. Still has 13 months of warranty and of AppleCare+ ... wonder if I could resell at an high enough price to warrant the buying of the corresponding new 14 ... go guess. Woopsie ... just checked the new 14 prices. They're CRAZY! Prices went up sooooo much. Means no go for me.

Last edited:

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
For your info the people at Apple told me that now the replacement of a cosmetically damaged iPhone under the Applecare+ insurance is not confined to 2 accidents per year. Wonder if this is retroactive (I have subscribed to AC+ in October 2021) as they told me but would love to find a written statement about it.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I got an email from Apple Support on Saturday regarding this. It states that as long as the AC sub is active and in effect it protects my device with an unlimited number of cases instead of two. So yeah, if you have an active sub for a device it counts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.